Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Message at Shutdown - Dell Suggests Reinstalling OS

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Marc147

Marc147

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:22 PM

I have a VOSTRO 1510 laptop from dell that I rarely use. I'm about to load some recording software and start using the laptop more often. Although the laptop seems to function perfectly, every time I shut down, right before the "Windows is shutting down" blue screen appears, an error message flashes and disappears before I can read it. Dell ran a diagnostic which showed nothing out of the ordinary. Nonetheless, Dell Support tells me that although we don't know what the error message is saying, something is probably wrong with the operating system and I should reinstall the XP SP3 operating system. I have never done this before and I'd like a second opinion. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:36 PM

Check the event viewer and give us the blue screen code.

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,180 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:21 PM

What a bunch of sissies at Dell (sometimes).

Here are some general instructions to provide us more info, catch your BSOD (if you are having one) and how to post events from the Event Log. I know it is boring exersise, but we won't have to ask some many questions later...

Have any hardware oriented changes been made to the system since it worked? RAM, video card, USB devices, etc.

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste back here.

There would be some personal information (like System Name and User Name) or whatever appears to be only your business that you can delete from the paste.

Disable Automatic restart on system error to stop the error on your screen so you can see it:

Right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery Settings.

In the System failure section, untick the Automatically restart box, OK, OK.

If you can only boot in Safe Mode and are seeing a BSOD, choose the option:

Disable automatic restart on system failure

Then you can see the BSOD when it happens again.

Here are some BSOD blue screen of death examples showing information you need to provide:

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/images/Windows_XP_BSOD.png
http://techrepublic.com.com/i/tr/downloads/images/bsod_a.jpg

Send the information pointed to with the red arrows (3-4 lines total). Skip the boring text unless it looks important to you. We know what a BSOD looks like, we need to know the other information that is specific to your BSOD.

Look in the Event Viewer for clues around the time of the incident

Here is a method to post the specific information about individual events.

To see the Event Viewer logs, click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer.

A shortcut to Event Viewer is to click Start, Run and in the box enter:

%SystemRoot%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s

Click OK to launch the Event Viewer.

The most interesting logs are usually the Application and System. Some logs may be almost or completely empty.
Not every event is a problem, some are informational messages that things are working okay and some are warnings.
No event should defy reasonable explanation.

Each event is sorted by Date and Time. Errors will have red Xs, Warnings will have yellow !s. Information messages have white is. Not every Error or Warning event means there is a serious issue. Some are excusable at startup time when Windows is booting. Try to find just the events at the date and time around your problem.

If you double click an event, it will open a Properties windows with more information. On the right are black up and down arrow buttons to scroll through the open events. The third button that looks like two pages on top of each other is used to copy the event details to your Windows clipboard.

When you find an interesting event that occurred around the time of your issue, click the third button under the up and down arrows to copy the details and then you can paste the details (right click, Paste or CTRL-V) the detail text back here for analysis.

To get a fresh start on any Event Viewer log, you can choose to clear the log (backing up the log is offered), then reproduce your issue, then look at just the events around the time of your issue.

Edited by joseibarra, 27 February 2010 - 04:21 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:24 PM

First image doesn't work but the next one refers to faulty ram.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:52 PM

You can use BlueScreenView - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html to see more detail of the BSOD.

Download, double=click BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items, saving the data as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

#6 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:42 PM

every time I shut down, right before the "Windows is shutting down" blue screen appears, an error message flashes and disappears before I can read it.

You put the words "blue" and "screen" next to each other, but I don't think you really are using this to indicate a classic "blue screen" as in "Blue screen of death" or BSOD.

An xp shutdown background is usually "blue" but ya have to be careful to not misdirect the response.

Can you describe the original problem a little differently? Some times the pause/break key can stop screen so you can read it.

In the past, norton antivirus in conflict with some sp1 updates (specifically on Dell machines) caused a dr watson error message at shutdown and reboot. This could be where the drones at Dell tech support (India) got this blanket reinstall response printed on the plastic pages they flip through.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:13 PM

<<...an error message flashes and disappears before I can read it.>>

<<Dell Support tells me that although we don't know what the error message is saying,...>>

Could be a STOP error, triggering auto reboot option.

Louis

#8 Marc147

Marc147
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:50 PM

Thanks for your responses but let me clarify that i don't think that this is a BSOD issue. Ken In The West is correct that the blue screen that i referred to is the normal Windows XP shut down screen - the one that says "Windows is shutting down . . ." My error message flashes a split second before that screen appears. The only words that I can make out are the following, and I'm leaving spaces(. . .) for the missing words that I haven't been able to make out:

" . . . failed to initialize . . . window"

At Joseibarra's suggestion, I've checked the event log and am pasting below some of the error events from the Application Log, occurring at the time of shut down.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1517
Date: 2/28/2010
Time: 12:26:56 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: MARCLAP
Description:
Windows saved user MARCLAP\Marc registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

Event Source: SQLBrowser
Event Category: None
Event ID: 3
Time: 12:28:01 PM
User: N/A
Description:
The configuration of the AdminConnection\TCP protocol in the SQL instance MSSMLBIZ is not valid.

Event Source: Microsoft Fax
Event Category: Initialization/Termination
Event ID: 32026
Time: 12:28:02 PM
Description:
Fax Service failed to initialize any assigned fax devices (virtual or TAPI). No faxes can be sent or received until a fax device is installed.

Event Source: Microsoft Fax
Event Category: Initialization/Termination
Event ID: 32068
Time: 12:28:02 PM
Description:
The outgoing routing rule is not valid because it cannot find a valid device. The outgoing faxes that use this rule will not be routed. Verify that the targeted device or devices (if routed to a group of devices) is connected and installed correctly, and turned on. If routed to a group, verify that the group is configured correctly. Country/region code: '*' Area code: '*'

Thanks for your help.

#9 Marc147

Marc147
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:57 PM

Oh, and another thing. I just shut down for the millionth time and I think that I managed to to pick off the first word of the error message. I believe that it's "Application".

So, the error message is something like "Application failed to initialize . . . window. . ."

I apologize if I'm not giving you enough to work with.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:53 PM

Did you run the application, as I previously suggested?

Louis

#11 Marc147

Marc147
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:02 PM

Yes, hamluis, I downloaded the bluescreenview.exe file and ran it, but nothing came up.

Any thoughts on my previous two posts?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:16 PM

The message is probably referring to attempts to shutdown apps and close the system, probably some function of Windows XP.

That would result in a failed shutdown effort, which seems to be where you are.

It would seem to me that you should have an error in Event Viewer because of this.

Microsoft Says...

Louis

#13 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:12 PM

slight delay in shutdown can trigger the popup that ask if you want to end the program that is trying to unload (but reached the timeout) but it can continue when the slow program unloads a second later and continue shutdown with no error message written to EV.

Shut down some memory pigs like adobe reader, Norton internet security, or even the beloved superantispyware right before you try a regular shut down.

If it stops the pop up, then try shutting down memory resident systray programs one at a time to see if it is a specific one.

Sometimes av and antispy programs can be really slow to unload if they are in mid scan.

You can also use msconfig to temp remove items from start up.

"Application failed to initialize" can be part of several error messages. At shutdown one of the most popular on Dells is ddwin (dr watson) which should have it's own log somewhere. I have pretty much ignored Dr watson since NT4.

#14 Marc147

Marc147
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:45 PM

Do the event viewer warnings that I posted earlier mean anything to anyone?

#15 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:53 AM

MSSMLBIZ is connected to outlook business manager. Unles you use this and it does not work it could be an isolated ev error from mapi trying to add a vcf contact or something similar, on an unconfigured outlook account.

Do you use outlook 200X?

The other two indicate the fax function is not configured. Do you have a modem set up? If you ever want to send a fax you have to set a return number and name in the setup.

I get these on systems that have a built in modem (unused) and trial versions of office installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users