Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does the free version of Avast have a firewall?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 techedumbdumb

techedumbdumb

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:19 PM

I am trying to download this Belkin Advisor program so I can have it tell me the guts of my computer for... who knows whar reason really. I got to get this info to Garmanma for him to help me. I successfully completed the download to my program files and when I clicked to open it I got an error message that read "not a valid Win 32 application". As I've seen this before today I thought maybe I should try opening the file with this new IZarc program to maybe unzip it..? I don't know what I'm doing really. So then I downloaded the Belcan Advisor again but this time I put it in my systems Win32 file and tried to open it from there. That error message read "access to the specified device or path or file is denied". What the heck am I doing wrong now? I re-read the Belcan sites FAQ and there was mention that my "firewall" might be denying something. I don't know that I have a firewall but I do have Avast downloaded on this Win2000 Pro and it's the free version and it seems to run all the time and I have never had this problem before so I don't know the answer. Any help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:51 PM

Download SIW [with installer] Free version
http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html
Download it to your Desktop
Double-click on it and it should start right up

Avast Free is just an AV

Edited by garmanma, 27 February 2010 - 03:53 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 techedumbdumb

techedumbdumb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:51 PM

So avast doesn't have a firewall? Then why can't I get that Belcan Advisor to work? What else do I not know in order to complete your recommended program?
Do I do an uninstall for avast and then add your SIW installer or is this an add-on thingy that I need to protect my dino computer?

#4 techedumbdumb

techedumbdumb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:22 AM

Garmanma~ You are the man!! If you could hear this right now I am playing you a binary code song on my guitar. *sounds like this* 001011000100111010100101100001 hymmmmnnn...
Thanks for the CIW program. Not only was that easy to download but it is awesome to have installed. Now, what info do you need from this to help me determine if my system can even hold XP? I know you said to copy and paste into a post and not include my personal codes so just be specific about what you want and I will get it to you.

I also uninstalled avast. Do you recommend a specific free version of something to help me keep virus's and adware and malware off my computer? Since it's Win 2000, microsoft doesn't have one for me like they offer my XP computers. At this point you are the master of my computer knowledge sensi :thumbsup:

One more question. Is there a cool manual somehwere on the web that would help me learn about all my settings and such that you either mark or unmark to keep your files and documents safe and such? I don't know what should be available and what most of those personal settings mean. Should I always use the default settings for things or get to know the verbiage so I can brush up on this subject. Just checking with you first before I hunt down more info on the internet. I have already unchecked boxes of things I don't even know just trying to get Belarc to work yesterday and now I don't remember what I unchecked and where I unchecked it all. I was troubleshooting from the hip having no idea what I was doing.... if you have any ideas I will do my homework on this subject.
Thanks again for all your help so far! Make it a great day!

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:22 AM

I have no problems with Avast. I'm not sure why you are
I hope you are not online without an AV right now
You can try AVG Free
http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivi...4-10019223.html
The thing to remember when installing anything is not to choose Express or normal install
Choose Custom They try to sneak toolbars and other garbage in with the AV

Basically, I want to know how much memory you have installed
It will also tell you what the max. amount is you can add

Let me know in your other topic
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 techedumbdumb

techedumbdumb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:19 PM

It has 512 MB max capacity with two memory slots. It says only one is being used and that's 256MB. Is that all you need? I couldn't copy and paste all the info that shows up in Memory section.

I did take avast off when trying to get Belarc up and running. I have yet to download it again. I'll use your version, thanks.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:52 PM

Although Microsoft claims XP will run on 256, it would be a wise choice to max it out to 512
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users