Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/DVD Issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PaulGeso

PaulGeso

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:31 PM

Recently my CD + DVD stopped recognizing disks and would not read or write in either drive. These drives are recognized in the Device Manager and tested as "O.K." during the troubleshooter. This issue began after an update to Adobe Reader 9.3 from a previous version. Attempts to System Restore to a time before this update are not allowed. Instructions from Adobe.com related to this issue included deleting the upper and lower filters in my registry. This did not work and even after uninstalling Adobe Reader 9.3 the issue remained.
Unfortunately I did not back up my registry values for the upper and lower filters before deleting them and can't find these values anywhere, which is part of the search that lead me here. Does anyone know the registry values for the upper and lower filters for:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\ {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} ?

Many of the suggestions from this site and others I have already tried without success. I am very experienced in diagnosing and solving most of my previous computer issues but this one has me stumped. I've ruled out hardware and believe that a software conflict is the root cause and that reinserting the upper and lower filter values in the above listed registry location could remedy this situation. Can anybody help?

EDIT: Moved to a more appropriate forum...XP??-MG

Edited by garmanma, 27 February 2010 - 03:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:26 PM

reinserting the upper and lower filter values in the above listed registry location could remedy this situation

You do not want any values in the key
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:39 PM

Adobe wouldn't do this, something else was installed.

#4 PaulGeso

PaulGeso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:05 PM

reinserting the upper and lower filter values in the above listed registry location could remedy this situation

#5 PaulGeso

PaulGeso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:07 PM

How do I insert the upper and lower filter values? I don't know what they are?

#6 PaulGeso

PaulGeso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:12 PM

Adobe wouldn't do this, something else was installed.

Adobe was the only thing installed recently and I see now that there is an F.B.I. warning listed on BC's homepage about counterfeit applications like Adobe look alikes, so probably that's what happened. Any idea how I should proceed next?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users