Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cant log on to XP pro

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jefflevitan

jefflevitan

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:09 PM

Hi- I think this is a self inflicted wound but don't know how to fix it. I wanted to join a home workgroup using my office computer. I renamed my computer to jeffs dell computer so we could recognize it on the network (deleted the office name of vdm:jlevitan. I deleted the domain and tried to create a workgroup which failed. While doing this a windows update downloaded and I allowed it to run. The computer worked fine until I shut it down and tried to restart it the next day.

Windows boots up and asks for a pass word. The password request used to be three lines...Name, domain, password.
now it is just name and password. It lists the name jlevitan which it has always listed, but does not recognize the password that I have used for years and was not changed.

Any suggestions? Did eliminating the domain change what I need to enter for the password? HELP. My life is locked on this computer.
Thanks,
Jeff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:00 PM

Is there an options button?

#3 jefflevitan

jefflevitan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:26 AM

yes, but it leads to shutdown or restart. Here is what I have done since I posted originally. I found a password reset program which I used to wipe out the password on the Administrator account. I was able to log in but my user name is not there any more. I am able to find my files in a my document folder under my previous user name but the user name does not exist. Is there a way to restore this with all the associated files? Also opening outlook starts with user setup versus all me emails, contacts, and calendar. How do I restore this?
Jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users