Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu live CD.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:41 PM

Hi all I have been reading a lot about UBUNTU 9.10 I downloaded the susposed LIVE CD ISO. from this link https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

I burned the ISO to a cdrom, it appears all files are on the disk, it offers to run the .exe in Windows, however when attempting to boot to the disk it does not happen.

I tried using a Windows startup disk, I can see all the cdrom's directories in DOS, however when I attempt to use wubi.exe in dos, it says it can not install in DOS.

Looking over the files on my UBUNTU 9.1 cdrom I do not see any files that would make the disk bootable, just wubi.exe then there are the other folders and readme files but no BOOT related files.

Was I supposed to add a boot command file of some sort to make the cdrom bootable?

Evrything I've read about using the ISO image says once the disk is burned it is already bootable and can run right off the cdrom disk or install from it as well.

To answer some questions ahead of time, yes the cdrom is first boot device, it works fine if I attempt to use the Win XP install or win 7 install disks.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 27 February 2010 - 01:51 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:53 PM

Did you verify the md5 sum or sha256 sum (hash) of the .iso file, before burning.

Checking the hash ensures that the file was not damaged during the download process and is 100% intact.

Link to relevant info page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

You do not have to add anything to the CD.

There are other distributions which you could try, e.g. Linux Mint (my favourite).

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:20 PM

Did you verify the md5 sum or sha256 sum (hash) of the .iso file, before burning.

Checking the hash ensures that the file was not damaged during the download process and is 100% intact.

Link to relevant info page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

You do not have to add anything to the CD.

There are other distributions which you could try, e.g. Linux Mint (my favourite).

I read about those options regarding md5 sum and sha256 sum but didn't think it was needed to be done.
I will read about it now and try that.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:15 PM

Guess I am going to have to order a cd, can't seem to run any of those Md5 sum and sha256 sum programs on Windows 7, keeps coming up NOT RESPONDING.
I dont think the cdroms I made are corrupt in any way.

I wanted to try ubuntu, but looks like that's not happening at this point.

I just do not want to share the same hard drive with Windows and Linux. I know the disk I burned will install it along side windows, but that's not what I have in mind.

I once had "open suse" on a hard drive by its self as GRUB but I wanted to try Ubuntu this time around.

I know linux mint seems to be popular, but am I going to go through the same problems making a disk from an ISO file?

Edited by MrBruce1959, 27 February 2010 - 04:18 PM.

#5 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:26 PM

Guess I am going to have to order a cd, can't seem to run any of those Md5 sum and sha256 sum programs on Windows 7, keeps coming up NOT RESPONDING.
I dont think the cdroms I made are corrupt in any way.

I wanted to try ubuntu, but looks like that's not happening at this point.

I have had no problems making live CD's of Ubuntu so you may want to check to see if the boot Priority in thew BIOS is set to read off of your CD-rom Drive first otherwise i don't know what you could do. I guess you could order a free Ubuntu cd from here Click Here for the link
And order one it is worth a try because it is free i have never used it though but it says that it could take up to ten weeks
-Matt

#6 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:30 PM

This md5sum program is supposed to work with Win 7

http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/winmd5sum_portable

Can only check my Ubuntu 9.04 (Sep 2009).

These are the root files:

autorun.inf (1kb)
md5sum.txt (5kb)
README.diskdefines (1kb)
ubuntu (0kb)
wubi.exe (1498kb)

[ Contents of autorun.inf:

[autorun]
open=wubi.exe --cdmenu
icon=wubi.exe,0
label=Install Ubuntu

[Content]
MusicFiles=false
PictureFiles=false
VideoFiles=false ]

There are 8 folders, including one called casper - (685 MB).

Just for info, really.

Could try burning with another burn program, e.g. IMGBURN.
or one of these:

http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/dvdcdburning.shtml

Edited by petewills , 27 February 2010 - 04:36 PM.

#7 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:47 PM

btw,when I burned my CDs last year, I chose Linux Mint 7 over Ubuntu 9.04,
because it included the codecs necessary to play music and movie files
without further downloads and Ubuntu didn't, at the time;
(otherwise, Mint was pretty much the same as Ubuntu 9.04).

Don't know about the updated Ubuntu.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:19 PM

This md5sum program is supposed to work with Win 7

http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/winmd5sum_portable

Can only check my Ubuntu 9.04 (Sep 2009).

These are the root files:

autorun.inf (1kb)
md5sum.txt (5kb)
README.diskdefines (1kb)
ubuntu (0kb)
wubi.exe (1498kb)

[ Contents of autorun.inf:

[autorun]
open=wubi.exe --cdmenu
icon=wubi.exe,0
label=Install Ubuntu

[Content]
MusicFiles=false
PictureFiles=false
VideoFiles=false ]

There are 8 folders, including one called casper - (685 MB).

Just for info, really.

Could try burning with another burn program, e.g. IMGBURN.
or one of these:

http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/dvdcdburning.shtml

Ok my disk has all those files and directories as well, so I am not sure what is up, because I tried booting off both a Windows XP installation disk and the Windows 7 Installation DVD and the computer booted from both disks and I used the same disk drive with the ubuntu disk and no go.

To MATT3

Yes I have the disk drive containing the ubuntu instalattion disk as the first boot device in the BIOS, I edited that in just as you were writing your reply.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 27 February 2010 - 06:21 PM.

#9 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:07 PM

You can do two things -

1. Verify that ISO you downloaded is not damaged. To do this generate MD5 hash of your ISO file and match against the hashes given here. You can use any MD5 hashing program you want. Here is a free md5 hasher : http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/hashmyfiles.zip

2. After you find out that ISO is intact, you can verify that the CD you burned is same as the ISO file. To do this download ImgBurn. Install and run it. Insert the CD you burned. On the main screen of ImgBurn, choose Verify Disc. Choose the ISO file and click on the big image button at bottom-left.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:51 PM

Everything with the disks are fine, I even made copies using IMGBurn and CDburnerXP I have Nero but its the stripped down version that came with my new DVD burner, so it does not have the ability to burn from an ISO image.

I just tried the "CD boot Helper" which is embeded in Ubuntu to see if that resolves any issues, believe it or not my PC booted to a dual boot option screen giving me the option to run Windows XP or ubuntu.
Hopefully I can get it to install on my blank secondary harddrive.

So far at the time I am typing this it appears to be loading, it already ran down a list of white letters on a black background and its displaying "checking the installation"

So I think I am good to go for now.

I want to thank everyone for their help so far...you guys are great!! :thumbsup:

Edited by MrBruce1959, 27 February 2010 - 11:59 PM.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:37 PM

Just a follow up.

I have successfully installed UBUNTU 9.10 on my system and it is working just fine. :thumbsup:

#12 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:40 AM

Excellent.

Feedback appreciated.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:44 PM

Excellent.

Feedback appreciated.

Well my system is an older one with a BIOS dated 2004, thats the last update the system will take as the MB manufacture date is 1998.

Anyways the problem was getting it to boot to a cdrom as the BIOS menus only use boot to CDROM and I think it more or less was looking for MSCDEX to be loaded, on the other hand the drive I was using was a DVD drive and perhaps the BIOS could not read from the DVD drive.

I was able to load the ubuntu installation thru Windows XP which I over-wrote because I have the Windows XP installation disk and I can just re-install XP to the other hard drive anyways.

So basically I just loaded it through Windows and had it wipe the drive and install it's self over the whole drive.

LOL I even found a lost copy of Linux Open Suse hidden on the drive. I forgot I once had this drive dual booting both Windows ME and Open Suse, I guess I lost the dual boot directory when I upgraded Windows ME to XP. Any who, I had UBUNTU delete that too.

I guess I am not making my self clear, but it did work and now I have UBUNTU installed. :thumbsup:

#14 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:06 AM

That's the drawback with a quick, short, ambiguous response; I intended the reply as a
thank you, for confirming that all was well for you, not as a request for further information.

However, I appreciate the trouble you have gone to, to supply the details and it always helps
anyone reading the topic to know exactly how things were resolved.

I remember that MSCDEX well; happy days with Win98SE.

I have an Ubuntu Live CD for emergencies and also a Linux Mint 7 Live CD, which I booted
last week when I was helping an acquaintance to attempt to recover data from his hard disk
and needed to refresh my memory on Linux.

I had forgotten how easy it was to connect to the Internet and the included Mozilla browser
appeared lightning fast compared to IE8.

Sorely tempted at times to switch to Linux, but it would be a wrench, having been with
Microsoft since MS-DOS 5 & Win 3.1.

Thank you for the comprehensive feedback which you have supplied!

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:48 PM

Try this tool: http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/v2.htm its simple fast and easy. Most importantly it works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users