Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop freezes with straight bars and colors?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 purplexius

purplexius

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:24 PM

My problem is that my laptop that I got over 4 years ago had been working perfectly but had this same problem during that time, but whenever I played a game that was full screen like Gunz, it would not freeze. Then I tried this later with maple story on windows mode. It would only take half screen and it didn't freeze, both these games take up 400m in the process list. In safe mode it doesn't crash or anything and doesn't freeze with the weird screen. I've been using it perfectly until now where it is crashing more recently and it sometimes crashes right on the screen where you pick the account you want to log on or when you change the desktop back round you wouldn't be able to go on the account at all it would keep crashing. Please help me resolve this problem. :thumbsup:
It's a Sony Windows XP Viao

Edited by purplexius, 27 February 2010 - 08:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:43 PM

Are you running xp home or pro and what brand computer is it? also what do you mean by crashing IE: blue screen or does it just restart?
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:02 PM

By your thread title I am willing to bet your video card is dying.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:37 PM

yeah i would put my money on the video card considering it happens when you are playing games.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:40 PM

It could be overheating as well.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:20 PM

laptop overheat usually starts to show as games crashing.
give us the brand and model and we can tell ya how to check the fans and heatpipes for felting/air restriction.

#7 purplexius

purplexius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:06 PM

Sony, Windows XP Viao I don't know if it's Pro or Home ._.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:16 PM

Download, and install SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Post your computer temperatures:

Posted Image

Provide processor info (hold Windows logo key, and hit Pause/Break key to find out).

Post to sets of readings. One, when computer idle, and another one while playing one of your games.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#9 purplexius

purplexius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:28 PM

Um, I can try to post one when I'm playing one of my games but like ._. it'll probably take me 2 hours to get it started ._. and it'll probably last 3 hours? Oh wait I can't try it without the game cause thats when the stupid colors and bars show up and my comp freezes.

Edited by purplexius, 27 February 2010 - 08:32 PM.

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:29 PM

Whatever works :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

#11 purplexius

purplexius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:30 PM

This is with 2 games that take up 200m each in the process list (:

Attached Files

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:48 PM

Keep SpeedFan open and continue playing your games.
See, if those temperatures will keep raising and how high.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#13 purplexius

purplexius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:08 PM

Okay so HD0 has risen by 1 and core 0 and core 1 has risen by 2 so far. I've been on an hour but now msmsg has infected my comp and I accidently dleted the folder and now i need help with that as well ._. so I can't open any files or post the pick! Plus I dont want to do a system restore since the msmsg has been in the process ist for quite a while i usually just end it but today i forgot and now it is in power.

Edited by purplexius, 27 February 2010 - 10:09 PM.

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:12 PM

What happened?
You got infected?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#15 purplexius

purplexius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:19 PM

Uh I did some research and stuff and MSMSGS.Exe is from messenger that is installed into the system and its kinda gey it wont let me do anything its called Messenger in program files and i accidently deleted the folder and cant get it back but you need it do rename the file and the problem will be solved said peoples ._.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users