Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:37 PM
I have been having problems with my computer (Dell Dimensions 4600) freezing up on me. When it freezes at first I can move the mouse but after a second or two the mouse stops moving and the computer continuously beeps, and I have to shut the power off. The problems leading up to this have been:
1. For a few weeks my computer would reboot on its own while I was using it. I was never given an error message.
2. I did a Microsoft update and upgraded to Internet Explorer 8.
3. I deleted the expired trial of Windows One Care.
4. I was promptly infected with Antivirus Soft.
5. After failing to activate my Anti-virus Software (Stop Sign) I used my Laptop to search out info on getting rid of AVS
6. I found your site and followed the instructions and AVS was removed
7. I deleted Malwearbytes
8. I was unable to open Internet Explorer,except in safe mode, and still can't.
9. I downloaded Firefox, which is what I am using right now.
10. I tried to run Stop Sign and it found one virus or something bad, and froze up, this has happened a number of times.
11. I read a lot of posts on this site and downloaded Super AntiSpyware ran it and it found a number of file. I used it to correct and delete all of the bad stuff. I then deleted it, not wanting to have more than one security program.
12. Computer still freezes up when I try to download anything, run Stop Sign, or run any sites that have video.
13. I am not computer literate at all so you might have to talk to me like a dummy, don't worry I won't be offended.
Thanks for your help.