Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Sata Drives Problem.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 glastofest

glastofest

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:49 AM

Please help.
I have a computer (with a 250gb sata (WDC 2500AAJS) HDD) that was rendered useless by a Vista service pack, MS are no help at all so I have put a different sata drive in that has a capacity of 160gb (st3160215SCE).

I was using the 160gb drive as a replacement and all was fine, but when I put the old drive in as a second drive to copy files off it, the machine will not boot. I get to the Vista boot screen (as seen on picture attached) and then the machine just hangs on a black screen INDEFINETELY , I have been into bios and the boot order seems correct so what is going wrong.....can anyone help?Attached File  vista_bootscreen.png   4.17KB   11 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 glastofest

glastofest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:30 AM

Can anybody help?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:54 PM

Is the second drive reflected properly in the BIOS?

Sounds as if your second drive is dead...XP may not boot if a dead drive is attached, IME.

FWIW: I doubt seriously if any Vista SP had anything to do with your hard drive troubles, in light of what you have reported. Drives die every day.

Louis

I suggest downloading the appropriate diagnostic and running it on that drive.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.as...1=6&lang=en

Edited by hamluis, 28 February 2010 - 12:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users