Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems after Recovery

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 wizardofaus

wizardofaus

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:17 AM

I had the ol' " Cannot boot because following is missing or infected: Windows/system32/config/system " error

I used the recovery disk, followed the instructions as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545 and got part 1 of the operation done OK. All the files copied ok, although the first step "copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak" I got the file missing error

My problem is that now I cannot make the computer start. I get the black windows xp splash screen and the moving bar thingy (dunno what it's called) then a totally blank screen. Pressing f8 does nothing. Pressing f12 I get the disk option screen, pressing esc I get the bios stuff.

System is XP pro, with SP2 installed,

Apologies if this is answered elsewhere - I did search (which is how I got as far as I have)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,239 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:53 AM

Those instructions...are written for a MS Genuine XP install CD, not for recovery/restore disks issued by a computer maker.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 wizardofaus

wizardofaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:01 AM

Second hand Dell Dimension 4400, with a new (about 6 months old) 150gb harddrive.

System is XP pro installed from a kosher CD, registered etc. I cannot locate the CD after moving house, so I made a recovery disk as per the instructions here here

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,239 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:29 AM

Thanks for clarifying smile.gif.

You followed the instructions for overcoming this...exactly as is written by Microsoft? A typo could result in the error message you received.

Louis

#5 wizardofaus

wizardofaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:43 AM

Exactly as typed by microsoft - up to the end of stage 1. I assumed the error message I got when copying the "c:\windows\system32\config\system" was because the machine thinks it didn't have one to copy.

It's when I try to restart to follow the rest of the instructions I have problems. I though it might have been a video driver problem (PC was plugged into an LCD TV) but changing monitor made no difference.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,239 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:16 AM

I don't have any bright ideas...but I think I would try to run the chkdsk /r command...then try boot. If no joy, I would try the listed set of procedures over again.

We KNOW that the file is there, but it's probably damaged. Maybe the chkdsk /r can overcome the damage.

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Louis

#7 wizardofaus

wizardofaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:49 PM

I have found an XP install cd disk and loaded it onto another drive I had lying around. I have put the previous drive on as a slave, and am running error checking on it.

When I have done that I will see if I can boot up from the previous disk.

#8 wizardofaus

wizardofaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:51 AM

OK

I ran disk checker in the first hard drive, it took forever, but reports to be working fine. I still can't boot from that system though.

Can I do the same process as described in the microsoft instructions, but physically dragging and dropping them while the machine is running on the new (but 10 years old) drive?

Edited by wizardofaus, 28 February 2010 - 05:52 AM.

#9 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:55 AM

Hello,

This error is caused by a corrupt registry. By following the MS instructions you have tried to replace the corrupted/missing hives (I guess missing, based on the error message you got when trying to copy).

We can use System Restore fairly easy here, however, this requires you to download an approx. 270 MB file and burn it to a CD. Please let me know if you wish to continue with that.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#10 wizardofaus

wizardofaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 06:24 AM

super. Would love to have that, thanks.

#11 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,816 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 06:37 AM

OK this file is big Print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing.

Two programs to download

First

ISOBurner this will allow you to burn OTLPE ISO to a cd and make it bootable. Just install the program, from there on in it is fairly automatic. Instructions

Second
  • Download OTLPE.iso and burn to a CD using ISO Burner. NOTE: This file is 292Mb in size so it may take some time to download.
  • When downloaded double click and this will then open ISOBurner to burn the file to CD
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start. Change the following settings
    • Change Drivers to Use Safelist
  • Copy/paste the bolded line below in the "custom scan/fix" field:

restorepoints

• Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system
  • Please post the contents of the OTL.txt file in your reply.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#12 wizardofaus

wizardofaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:53 AM

Thanks

In the meantime, I booted up on the new system, and copied and pasted the system, software, sam, security and default files from
windows\repair\ to system32\config\ on my original drive.

I can now boot up from the original drive, but it's asking me to register before it will run. Is there something I can copy across to register XP, or does one have to re-register ?

Will running OTLPE fix this?

#13 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,816 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:42 AM

Well, by doing so, you used the registry from one installation on another. This will not work. The registry stores settings for software and hardware specifically from your system.

The best change IMO is still OTLPE since that will allow us to use system restore, which will put the original hives back. In the mean time, please do NOT make any changes unless instructed so. This is quite a mess already and in order to get everything back in working order, I need to know what is happening on your system.

regards, Elise

#14 wizardofaus

wizardofaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:47 AM

sorry - I didnt make myself clear - I put the files from windows repair on the old system to system 32 on the old system - doing what the windows instructions say, but while booted up on a different disk.

#15 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,816 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:17 AM

I see what you mean, however for me to be able to say anything useful about this, I need to see the OTLPE log I asked you to create.

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users