Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 john5578

john5578

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:42 AM

Hello,

I hope this is the correct place to post this, the problem seems like it would be a hardware issue to me, but please advise if this should be posted elsewhere. Anyway, I have an Asus C90s laptop (branded as Velocity Micro). It is running Windows Vista 32bit. It has been running just fine for a while now, but the other day this new problem started.

When the laptop is off, and I press the power button to turn it on, the power light does come on, but the monitor does not light. The hard disk light flashes a couple of times and the optical drive spins up for a few seconds, and that's it. I get no Velocity micro logo splash screen, nothing. It doesn't even get to the point where the Bios loads. I am pretty sure that it is not just a monitor issue because if it was booting up and I was just not able to see it, I would still be able to hear the start up chime and I would have activity on the hard disk activity light. I get none of these things. If I press the power button again, it powers off immediately.

The first couple days that this started it was intermittent. I would try it and it wouldn't work, and I would let it sit for a while and then it would start. Now, it has been a few days since I have been able to get it running. I have tried to let it sit with the power and battery out but that doesn't seem to make a difference. If anyone has any ideas of things to try I would be grateful for them, because I really can't afford to pay someone to fix this. Also, I don't have any important files saved on it (luckily I recently setup a network drive that I keep everything on), just software that can be reinstalled, so if any of your ideas would result in data loss I would still be open to them.

If you need more info about the laptop please post the request, and I will add it. I would normally post all the tech info from the system profile but since the machine won't start I really can't access that right now.

Thank you for any suggestions you may have!

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:10 PM

Do you have access or know someone with a voltmeter?
You need to check the power brick and make sure it is putting out the correct voltage
Also, when the power supply is plugged into the DC jack of the laptop, is it a solid connection or kind of loose?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 john5578

john5578
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:22 PM

Do you have access or know someone with a voltmeter?
You need to check the power brick and make sure it is putting out the correct voltage
Also, when the power supply is plugged into the DC jack of the laptop, is it a solid connection or kind of loose?

I have to dig it out but I do have a voltmeter. Also the connection from the dc jack seems pretty tight. Though, even if it was an issue with the power supply, the battery would be enough to start up the laptop. When the problem first started and it would start up after a while, the battery was fully charged. I will check the power brick, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users