Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Router - Belkin Wireless N and Problems already :(

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 h4mza

h4mza

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:16 AM

So i bought a new router which is Wireless N, so i could get internet signal all around my house as advertised on the routers box.

Im on Virgin Media Cable connection. Before i start i'd like to ask, does Virgin Media give you a free router when you use their service, cos i heard rumors but they give me one.

Anyways, i tried to configure router but its not what i expected from it.

I have it connected and running properly, i can access internet on my computer. Now downstairs on my laptop it also connected but its giving me Very Low Signal, even when i have set the SSID Channel to maximum. On my old computer which has Wireless G adaptor, i have connected to the router but i cant get to internet, it says Limited or No internet connectivity.

So i rebooted everything including the old computer, and the router. After reboot still the same problem.

Im on Dynamic IP Address, so i have inserted all my IP Details. And then again reboot.

Now on my computer i have tried every possible thing i can think of, i tried repairing the connection, and i got stuck at where it says renewing IP Address. It stays there for ages.

I have been trying to set this up for 4 hours and no luck at all. Please somebody help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:58 AM

Im on Virgin Media Cable connection. Before i start i'd like to ask, does Virgin Media give you a free router when you use their service, cos i heard rumors but they give me one.

They might supply you with one, but you can bet you would see a monthly charge on your bill

Edited by garmanma, 27 February 2010 - 10:58 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:31 PM

Hello H4mza,

802.11n routers aren't always everything they are cracked up to be, and a lot of the advantage doesn't apply unless you have 802.11n adapters on the clients. It is quite possible that your older G router had better antennas, and possibly more power, than the brand spanky new N job.

That said, if your router has a site survey option try it out and make sure you are set to channel 1, 6, or 11, whichever has the weakest competing signal. If it doesn't, try downloading NetStumbler (for Windows) or similar (iStumbler for Mac, for instance). Then unplug your router and walk around your place with the Stumbler running on your laptop, if you have one. If it's just desktops then that will do. What you are looking for is the signals on channels 1,6, and 11 that are weakest everywhere in the areas you use your computer. That's the channel you want to use for your router. You can also look for "loud" signals on the off channels as well, and avoid them if you can (i.e. if there is a strong channel on 2 or 3 avoid channel 1, channels 4,5,7, or 8 avoid 6, and 9 or 10 avoid 11). It is better to be on the same channel as another strong signal than be off by one or two channels. If two SSID's use the same channel they will contend for air time, but if they are only one or two channels apart they will see each other as pure interference.

Stuck at renewing IP can also indicate that the WPA or WPA2 authentication did not go well. Double check the settings on all parties, or try turning off encryption temporarily to check things out. Also, you may have to delete (or disconnect) the old wireless connection then establish a new one, particularly if the security settings changed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users