Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD: can't boot to normal mode, need serious help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 TSimmons2

TSimmons2

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:45 AM

My PC is now hosed. I don't know what I should do because it seems now after running combofix, it's deleted all my system backups and added IE as def browser and tried to add/del a bunch of registry keys but I denied most via Spybot S&D.

So, I need someone who can walk me through fixing all of this and hopefully get my PC back to normal. I normally run ESET NOD32 AV AND Comodo firewall AND Spybot S&D all at the same time and I didn't get a positive when I ran that rustbfix.exe. Or the GMER which did list a catchme.sys for comodo I think.

Anyway, the original prob was that it would not boot to normal mode and gave the BSOD STOP code of: 0x0000008E 0xC0000005, 0xE0CFB420, 0xF54717DC, 0x00000000

Now, it seems my PC is slowing down and it won't even let me do cntrl-alt-del but maybe it is just safe mode. I don't know. I'm afraid the combofix.exe has added some malicious stuff and I d/l it from a link at this site and ran it through norton AV on yahoo to be sure because the NOD32 won't run in safe mode.

I will post what I can now and if someone can guide me or tell me what to run and what logs to post where, that'd be great.

WinXp pro svc pk 3, nvidia geforce 9600 gt, 4 gig ram, P4 3.something cpu, asus motherboard.

I made sys backups yesterday b4 installing adobe encore and ALL my sys backups are now gone. At least they are not showing up when I go to do a restore and further, the option to do a backup isn't there. But maybe that is safe mode. I don't know.

So, I'm afraid when I turn this off and back on, that malicious stuff that combofix added is going to make my PC even worse and maybe not even be able to get back online. Every time I tell FireFox to be the default browser, I close it and open again and NO, it is still not the default browser.

Any help is appreciated. If you need some kind of info from running some diag, just tell me what and how and I will post back the results.

Thanks,
TSIMMONS2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:45 AM

FWIW: ComboFix usage, Questions, Help - Look here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/273628/combofix-usage-questions-help-look-here/

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:31 AM

Combofix did not add anything
Follow the directions in this post as best as you can:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Then post here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/
Be sure to tell them you ran Combofix
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 TSimmons2

TSimmons2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:42 PM

Thanks, Garmanma. I actually read that post last night and ran the dds.scr and saved the two txt files.

But my PC was doing all sorts of malicious stuff last night b4 the cpu went to 0 with 50% on winlogon.exe and 50% on some other process with 5 or 6 instances of Firefox uninstaller running. THAT ain't right at all.

So, now that I have the two txt files, I will post in that other thread I guess and see what happens. I do have a recovery disc from the manufacturer of my PC that will get me back to the way it was when I bought it but I've got tons of software and personal files and an old soundcard that I'm not sure I have the drivers for but worst case I can just wipe the HD but then not sure if that still wipes any malware etc.

Thanks and I will post in the other thread.

TS

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:49 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/298999/bsod-now-i-wonder-if-i-have-some-malware-etc/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users