Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netowrking two computers

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:49 PM

Hi,
I am going to go through my current setup first so, i have a windows XP computer connected via wire to my wireless router and then i have a Windows Vista Home Premium Computer connected to my wireless router with a wi-fi card. They are both on the same workgroup also.
Now my problem is that i cannot network the two computers, when i go on the XP computer (Wired one) i thinks i have a wired connection so to create a network doesnt show anything oin the vista computer. and then the Vista (Wireless one) thinks that i am on a wireless connection. So if anyone has any ideas on how to newtork these 2 computers let me know.
Dont lose sleep over it but i would love to stop having to use my flash drives to transfer files i ave so many of them floating around i mean i have a pile of like five or six here on my desk.
-Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:42 PM

Have a read of this. With Vista you have to triple check the permissions.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 matt3

matt3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:33 AM

I was able to with that link get to see my vista files in XP but not the other way around if i go to network o my vista computer all it does it show my router and my other computer connected. So now all i want to be able to do is acess my XP files.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:01 PM

Sorry about that, thought it had both XP and Vista DUH ME. Try this Its all XP =)

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 matt3

matt3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:36 PM

Sorry that didnt help i have done everything sugested on the site already. Although i couldnt ping the other computer by name for like 5 min i was able to just trype in the adress bar in vista "\\(computername)" and get a list of the printers and files being shared but i jsut tried that again and it says "Winodws Cannot Access Network Path not found" I am going to try a restart of both computers to see what happens
-Matt

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:55 PM

So from XP you could see Vista? But from Vista you can't see XP? Hmm normally its the other way. lol

#7 matt3

matt3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:44 PM

Ya that is correct but after now restarting my computers i went to Xp and went to Network Places and i saw the things being shared by both computers but clicking on the ones from Vista it now goes to Access denied. And in Vista When i go to network i see just my computer and once and a while if i go to type \\(Xp computername) i can get to see the Xp files. But now i cant see the files or printers. I am pretty good with computers and have setup networks before but never had this much trouble.

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:14 PM

Welcome to Vista/Win7 Networking. They are both a PITA. Also make sure if you are running a firewall that it allows it. Normally its a permissions thing. Vista/Win7 have like 4 different places to mess with permissions and you have to set them all. So when you right click on what you are sharing, make sure you look in the advanced side too. Make sure its always set to Everyone.

#9 matt3

matt3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:12 PM

I just realised that i never even mentioned that i have a cross over cable from the vista computer to another computer running Xp and that one can access the vista files and i can accesss that XP files from Vista. So then i would guess that the firewall is setup right considering that i have the same anti virus on both the wired XP computer and the Vista on but the one connected to the vista with a crossover cable has Avira and i never bothered to change any of the firewall settings because it worked. so i know it it something to do with the fact that the Wired Xp computer or my Router. I have been looking online but i have been able to get the computers to see each other atleast. I have been thinking about wiping my wired Xp but not because i cant get them networked. But i dont have the time to do that now. Thanks for your help i will look into the sharing and the premissions.

#10 matt3

matt3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:46 PM

I got the networking working by changing some of the settings in Kaspersky's firewall. Thank you for all of your help

Edited by matt3, 28 February 2010 - 02:47 PM.

#11 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:41 PM

That'll do it =)

#12 matt3

matt3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:28 PM

If anyone was wondering how i solved this i went into Kaspersky's firewall settings and jst changed my network that i have to trusted on both computer and i am good to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users