Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unidentified Network local access only

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 silencio

silencio

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:51 PM

Hi all.

The last couple of days I have had some troubles with my wireless internet connection. The problem seems to be "Unidentified Network local access only". This is what I have set up:

Desktop PC (XP)
Laptop (Vista)
Speedtouch 546T2 Modem
Jensen AirLink89300 router

It has been working perfectly fine for several months now, until the last couple of days. The internet on my desktop PC, which is connected directly through the modem, is working fine but the wireless network on the laptop and PlayStation 3 is not. I recently installed some Windows updates on the laptop and thought that they might be the source to the problem, but uninstalling the updates didn't help so I doubt that's the problem then. That's one of the issues here, what is really my problem? All the lights that should be blinking are in fact blinking on both the modem and the router. It's working fine on my desktop PC, so it surely can't be the internet connection that's the problem here.

It says that I'm connected to an "Unidentified Network with local access only" when I connect to my wireless network, so I can't go online (on laptop), MSN (on laptop), go online on my PS3 etc. And it's getting really annoying.

Please help me out here? Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

Edited by silencio, 26 February 2010 - 08:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:23 PM

Are you sure you are connecting to your router?

What security are you using?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 silencio

silencio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:40 PM

Yeah, I am sure that I'm connecting to my router. I click on the name of my network...it connects...end up saying Unidentified Network local access only.

I am using WPA as security.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:59 PM

And both the laptop and PS3 connect wireless and get the same error? Very strange.

It might be a little bit of a pain but I'd reset the router, hold off on the security and see it will connect. If yes then add the security.

I'm assuming the Speedtouch is set to bridged mode? (i.e no DHCP)

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 silencio

silencio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:30 AM

Did the following and it woked:

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or Windows 7.

Start, All Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, each followed by the Enter key:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:59 PM

Ok but unclear how this solved the issue with the PS3 but whatever works for you.

#7 silencio

silencio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:33 PM

I have to BUMP this because the issue is back. Tried solving it with the same solution that worked fine the last time, but "of course" that wouldn't work now.

It's very frustrating. Anyone that can help me out on this? Thanks in advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users