Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Monitors Issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jables

Jables

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:24 PM

Hello All, I wish you luck helping me solve my problem

I am running windows xp home with an AMD 760G chipset in it.

My mother board actually has a port built in for VGA and DVI.

I have 2 monitors that both work great in the VGA port but when I try to put them through the VGA to DVI adapter they don't work. My computer doesn't even recognize the second monitor.

I've tried upgrading my drivers and using different monitors and using different adapters.

I've tried unplugging and replugging everything.

I've tried to enable the second monitor through windows display settings and through Catalyst.

It really feels as if the DVI port just isn't working. I don't know if there is a way to activate the DVI port.

No, I don't have this on warranty.

Any help would be awesome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:58 AM

Some on-board video chips don't support dual monitors, even if you have both type of ports.
Most likely, you need real video card.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:24 AM

AMD say the capability depends on the motherboard implementation. Either check specifications of your motherboard, or borrow a monitor with DVI input to see if it will work that way. If the motherboard has a single RAMDAC rather than a dual, there will only be one VGA output available.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:14 AM

After more search, I found these:
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm...threadid=110491

Those motherboards can only use one monitor at a time as they only have one Ramdac as far as I am aware.
Motherboards with VGA / DVI and also a HDMI connector have 2 Ramdacs but the 2nd one is used exclusively by the HDMI port. So you would need a PCIe graphics card if you wanted to use a VGA and DVI monitor at the same time.

http://www.amazon.com/Shuttle-Computer-SA7...e/dp/B002C9F9CQ

There is a VGA and a DVI port. These are not separate devices. If you are doing dual monitors you'll need to install a separate video interface card.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Jables

Jables
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:21 AM

*sighs* alright, well thank you, I guess I have some work putting a new card in there.

thank you guys

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:39 PM

You're welcome :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users