Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:26 PM

A little problem here.I dual boot with XP Pro and Windows7.I had to reformat and install XP again after a bad virus.I installed on the same partition as before but now the boot options aren't the same.Used to say earlier version of windows or windows 7.Now I don't have a choice anymore.I assume it's cuz I re-installed XP.Is there a way to fix this,thanx,Tony.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:50 PM

google sez:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529

#3 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:54 PM

Thanx for the quick response,read details on the site you provided but am not puter literate at all and don't understand it but thanx anyway,Tony.

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:08 PM

read it through a few times. Even write out what you think you should type and post it here if you like. We can't see your computer so you have to fill in the dvd drive letter and such, but we can tell you if your on the right track.

It is a microsoft page. It may seem confusing, but it is usually correct and simple enough to figure it out if you spend some time on it.

If you type something wrong it usually will just give you an error message and you can start over.

Anyone else have a simpler fix? I can't think of one since it is the difference between xp and vista/win7 core boot architecture.

You can post in the win7 forum, maybe they will have something else.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:35 AM

I would use Easy BCD...to edit the Vista/Windows 7 boot, which becomes dominant once installed.

Easy BCD Documentation

Louis

#6 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:33 PM

Thanx all for the help but I am not to comfortable with trying to fix my puter.Anyway,I reinstalled 7 and now the boot screen is back to normal.The question I have is can I somehow safe the boot file in case this happens again and if so,how,thanx Tony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users