Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AM2 VS. AM2+ CPU

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:32 PM

New build here using leftover components, the MOBO is a Gigabyte GAM 59-SLI S5 which features an AM2 socket.
I've found that new AMD AM2 processors are becoming nearly extinct
What would be the ramifications, if any by using an AMD AM2+ CPU instead on this board?
This system will primarily be used for surfing the net and word processing, with practically no gaming at all

Can anyone offer insight/advice?
Thanks in advance !
:thumbsup:
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:41 PM

the AM2+ was the crossover between the AM2 and the AM3. About the only real difference is bus speed I do believe, the AM2+ socket and CPU supports a faster bus speed then the old AM2. AM2+ CPUs will work in most cases with the older AM2 slots. with many boards though you may need a BIOS update to do so.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:56 PM

You should be able to use an AM2+ CPU in an AM2 motherboard, but check to see if your motherboard supports it and if a BIOS update is needed. To further build on what is said, AM3 is very similar to the AM2+ but has a memory controller that supports DDR3 and DDR2 resulting in backwards compatibility.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users