Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows explorer in Vista crashes, think it's related to popups and the antivirus trojan 2010.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MookieX

MookieX

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:32 PM

I've recently had to get rid of the new antivirus trojan about two or three days ago, I managed to fix the .exe file problem and eveyrthing seemed to be running fine.

Now my "windows explorer" keeps crashing, and I think it is to do with pop ups as it seems to only happen when I have my internet connected and it tends to happen just before or after my internet bring up some random website. These websites appear when I try and access a website, not just on their own like pop-ups usually do. And they tend to be search sites. Now I have a firewall, pop-up blocker and internet security etc. So I'm not sure how else to stop this from happening. The security software I have is Norton if that's any help, and it's the recent version as I've just updated and renewed my subscription for it. I also have the utilities software which is takes cookies and other temporary files off the computer as I thought it could have something to do with that.

Granted it isn't exactly a serious problem, I'm just worried incase it ends up developing into one. At the moment it's generally just very irritating.

I don't think there's anything else I can say that might help, so if someone has any insight to stop this properly I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Also, originally it was crashing and had to be reset, I'll admit it's started to manage to fix itself without resetting the whole computer but it is still irritating.
Another add to this, seems like my phising filter is being knocked off sometimes when this happens too.

Edited by MookieX, 27 February 2010 - 10:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:02 PM

You are probably still infected
I would post here to make sure:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Post the actions that you have already done
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 MookieX

MookieX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:43 AM

Nothing is coming up in scans like last time but I will just in case

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:09 PM

Nothing is coming up in scans like last time but I will just in case

Malware can disable security programs from finding infections.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:52 PM

Hello MookieX,

I would suggest you follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<==

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then post back here and we will provide you with further instructions.

Orange Blossom :huh:

p.s. To avoid confusion with another member's topic, I am removing your post to this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/299113/google-links-redirected/
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users