Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New USB Wireless Adapter Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Crink

Captain Crink

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:50 PM

My old PN15 (internal USB) wireless adapter in my Shuttle XPC started playing up - wouldn't see my network, kept dropping connection, etc. I installed a new Sitecom 300N USB dongle which worked a treat for 1 day, then started playing up. Blaming the original PN15 installation, I removed the PN15 and uninstalled the driver. No joy. Hit an earlier Restore Point, uninstalled again, then reinstalled the 300N. No joy. plugged the thing in via ethernet port on router. No internet. Tried wireless again. It connects, gathers correct ip address. I can ping myself, ping 127.0.0.1, but cannot get reply from router - it just times out. I've reset winsock, LSP fixed, etc. Nothing - I'm now very confused!! Machine is Windows XP Home, SP3. Appreciate any clues please!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:08 PM

Sometimes you need to go into the BIOS to truly shut the on board stuff down. I would uninstall both from device manager, uninstall any software in Add/Remove, reboot getting into the BIOS, disable the on board, then save/exit. Make sure the new one is not plugged in. Boot it up and make sure there is no sign of the on board. Then go through a fresh install of the new one.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Captain Crink

Captain Crink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:14 PM

Thanks CaveDweller2. I think the problem is more serious because it won't even connect properly via ethernet port. It's got me stumped!!

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:23 PM

Well if its on board too, remove it from Device manager and reboot. It'll reinstall. But do one or the other not both at the same time.

If you can get the wireless working then you could update both driver(wireless and wired)

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Captain Crink

Captain Crink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:58 PM

Managed to get wireless working by doing sfc /scannow. Why that worked, I have no idea!! Rebooted and checked Windows update afterwards - found a new Sitecom driver, installed that - still working. Now I have got this far, shall I ignore the ethernet port issue? Think I'll try your re-install idea.......

#6 Captain Crink

Captain Crink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:23 PM

It's packed up again. Wireless says it's connected, reports correct ip, but usually no pings returned from router. Maybe one in 10 goes I get one back. Ethernet will not connect at all. I'm thinking there is a major hardware issue....

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:03 PM

Did you go into the BIOS and disable the onboard wireless there?

#8 Captain Crink

Captain Crink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:13 PM

It's not an onboard wireless as such. PN15 is a module which connects to one of the usb headers on the MB. It's totally removed now..

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:26 PM

Sorry I saw internal and not USB lol.

In the connection properties for both your wireless and wired, you can uncheck IPv6. This can sometimes cause an issue.

Getting the latest drivers for both and uninstalling both ( I mean wired and wireless ) from Device manager and Add/Remove programs, reboot and install the new drivers. But do one then the other not both at the same time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users