Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tape to CD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 turtletary

turtletary

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:31 PM

We all have old cassette tapes of "good-old-music" that we can't listen to in our newer cars!

Is there a tutorial on how to record from portable cassette player onto PC? There has to be a program somewhere?

Thanks.....

Terry
Terry E. Kilgore
Bless GOD America
Turtletary.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,631 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:55 PM

This is what I used as a reference when I did the same thing several months ago. That is if you're using Windows, of course.
Trapped on tape

Edited by Bezukhov, 26 February 2010 - 04:56 PM.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:55 PM

Audacity + tape deck + amplifier
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 turtletary

turtletary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:32 PM

Thanks guys.. I'll check with the electronics store for the 'connector' cable.

To show my ignorance.. I have one of the last XP and the tape player I'll be using has only the "push-down" connectors where a bare ( speaker ) wire is inserted [ red and black each side/left&right ]. Besides the head-phone jack on the front of the player.. those are the only 'speaker' jacks.

Any hope?

Terry
Terry E. Kilgore
Bless GOD America
Turtletary.com

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:56 PM

With an appropriate adapter lead you can use the headphone output, more convenient than trying to make a connection to the speaker terminals. You'll get a better sound quality if you can find a tape deck that has a line out (usually RCA sockets), but with tape you might not really notice the difference.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,631 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:38 PM

A word of warning: The quality of the files you get out of those tapes will only be as good as the tapes themselves.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#7 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:55 PM

All that i do is take a tape deck that has a headphone port on it and then plug that into the mic port on my computer then hit record in Audacity and then play on the tape the quality was not the best form me but i could use a better tape player and a better tape the last one that i used was not to good because it had gotten wet (Dont ask why, i dont know why) and so i dryed it out. But it would have a tape that has not be soaked then it should sound good

Why the edit: type to fast

Edited by matt3, 27 February 2010 - 07:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users