Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Slow to Display Desktop icons

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 ken S

ken S

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:10 AM

My Dell Inspiron 9400 Laptop with Windows XP SP3 Home Edition Intel CPU T2300 1.66 GHz, 1 GB RAM, and ATI Mobility Radcon X1400 was running slow on Booting-up and after being booted up for maybe 20-30 minutes, it got extremely slow. I used the pinned topic in: Am I infected?_Slow Computer and followed the steps one by one. I also used some of the clean up items in the Microsoft Accessories System Tools, plus Spybot, CCleaner, MBAM, and Hijack This (do start a new thread to post a log?).
Now, the computer seems to run as normal and fast as my Gateway DX300 Desktop except for One Thing - when booting up, the Desktop takes a long, long time to load the icons after the wallpaper picture is viewable. Once the icons finally get displayed, the computer is fine. Can anyone tell me what to look for to fix this annoying situation? Thank you, kens

Edited by ken S, 26 February 2010 - 11:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:27 PM

Try getting more RAM for your lap top.

#3 ken S

ken S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:35 PM

My Desktop also has 1GB of RAM and it does not slow down after being up for 30 minutes. In the HIJACK log, there are two screens/pages of stuff showing up. I feel there is something there that is 'running' that shouldn't be. How can I get someone to look at the log?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:36 PM

My Desktop also has 1GB of RAM and it does not slow down after being up for 30 minutes. In the HIJACK log, there are two screens/pages of stuff showing up. I feel there is something there that is 'running' that shouldn't be. How can I get someone to look at the log?

Posting it in the right place. Does your lap top feel hot?

#5 ken S

ken S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:44 PM

Not at all warm or hot. The desktop actually belongs to my bro-in-law, and his daughter and granddaughter used it before. I had it here in my office a month ago and downloaded the powerpoint viewer for him. The desktop did not take that long to load and the computer did not get progressively slower then. I have removed a lot of programs using control panel since then because they both have their own computers now.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:48 PM

The normal result of running a tool like HJT...is "2 pages of logs".

HJT is a malware tool...malware is not the business done in the XP forum (intentionally).

If you want to post your HJT log data for malware reasons, then you need to post at BC Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Louis

#7 ken S

ken S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:55 PM

OK, I was thinking processes running. I truely believe I have gotten rid of any spyware and malware which was minimal. When I look at Task Manager, it just looks like a lot going on. What tool would tell me if there is some 'endless loop' type thing slowing the system as time goes by?
To post a HJT log, does it need to link back to this thread? Thanks, Kens

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:59 PM

What kind of drive is in your lap top? THe model number would be nice.

#9 ken S

ken S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:12 PM

Drive: In control Panel Hardware tab, it says ST9100824AS and that it is working properly. Free space 73.6 GB out of Total 88.4 GB. Is that what you need? Kens

#10 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:15 PM

It can take a couple of weeks to get help wtih a Hijackthis log and once you post it, you cannot receive help in this section of the forum, so if you do not feel that you have any malware, it might not be in your best interest to post that log.

You can use a program called process explorer to see what loads on startup but I do not have a iink to it. Someone else will probably come along soon with a link for it though.

I just use the startup setion of Spybot to manage my startups.

You can also just use TaskManager to see what programs are using the most of your resourses. Look at the column under CPU to check that

Edited by Stang777, 26 February 2010 - 02:16 PM.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:20 PM

Your hard drivei s a 5400 rpm drive. The fuller it gets the slower it will get. Get a 7200RPM Drive, and your slowness will go away.

#12 ken S

ken S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:33 PM

Taskmanager Jumps around a lot and updates every second, but mcshield.exe seems to be averaging about 20%. Idle is over 50% while I have MBAM running again at about 15-20% average.
What should be in startup that you manage with spybot? I think I have a lot going on there too.

Edited by ken S, 26 February 2010 - 02:35 PM.

#13 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:06 PM

I believe Mcshield.exe is from McAfee and if that is slowing your system down, you might want to try a different virus program. McAfee can slow a lot of computers down quite a bit.

Usually the only things you really need to be starting on startup are the Windows programs (do not disable any of them), your antivirus and firewall program and if you use custom features of your keyboard and mouse those should be there too. Those are the only things that I have listed there. Seems like I have 9 Windows programs listed there but I am not running SP3 or a printer so if you are, you might have a few more Windows programs.

If you click on the little bar on the right of the section in Spybot that shows the startups, there should be information shown about each program it lists telling you if it is needed to loaded on startup. If there is no information given, then just google the process to find out. It is best to just uncheck the item, rather than delete it, reboot and see if all runs well.

Btw, System Idle Process in taskmanager should be at around 95% when you are not doing anything on the computer.

Edited by Stang777, 26 February 2010 - 03:08 PM.

#14 ken S

ken S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:07 PM

I agree with the 95%. What's wierd, if I do a shutdown & reboot, the desktop comes back rather quickly. If I do a cold boot after the computer is shutdown for awhile, it takes a long time to display the icons after the wallpaper picture is displayed. I have the free version and do not see a 'little bar'. There are 3 clickable boxes - Check for problems, Recovery, and Search for updates. Am i on the wrong screen??
When does the RAM clear out? I wonder if the memory gets full and then it can't run right? Kens

#15 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:59 AM

I do not know why there would be a difference in how the computer respnods depending on how the computer is started. I am not sure that your startup programs have anything to do with anything, I only mention that because you said it takes a long time for the computer to boot and that you have many things listed in the taskmanager. I know a lot of people have a lot more things in taskmanager than I do and their systems run fine, but I only have 21 processes listed when I open taskmanager before opening any other program after starting my system.

There is only the free version of Spybot and I am sorry that I did not explain how to get to the startup section of it but I was hurrying to reply before going to work and did not even think about the fact that you might not know how to get to it.

When you open Spybot, on the top bar, the toolbar, it lists file, mode, language and help. Click on mode and select advanced mode. Then, below the buttons you mentioned, there should be three box type things titled, Settings, Tools and Info. Click on Tools, then, towards the bottom of the list, should be the third one from the bottom, click on System Startup. That is where you will find all things that load on startup. There is a bar on the right side of that window with 2 arrows. If you click on that, it will open another panel. When you click on an item listed in the startup list, if there is info available about that item, it will be listed in that panel.

Any program listed that does not have info available for it there, or you are just unsure of, you can either google it or just post it here and I, or someone else, will help you determine if it should stay checked or not. I have to work tomorrow so probably cannot help much til later tomorrow night but others should be around.

believe ram clears out when the computer is restarted.

Just to be sure you are free of malware and such, you might want to do a scan with SuperAntiSpyware which you can get from SuperAntiSpyware.com

Edited by Stang777, 27 February 2010 - 02:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users