Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot download/update MBAM

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 prittidayzee

prittidayzee

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:54 AM

I have some kind of problem with my computer. I believe it is DNS Changer, because McAfee (my usual security system) flagged, quarantined, and deleted it on 2-19-10. Since then my computer has been running slowly, but no other obvious problems until yesterday. On 2-25-10 McAfee tried to update itself automatically and was unable to do so. When trying to visit McAfee's website, I was told that the page could not be loaded. I tried to visit Malwarebytes.org (my emergency security system) and was told the same thing. Whenever I try to visit any antivirus site it either says that the page cannot be loaded or I am directed to a random add site.

Whatever it is doesn't seem to have a problem with this forum however. I tried to reinstall MBAM using the links on this site and it got partway through and then gave me an error code 732(12007,0) which it suggested I report to MBAM's support team. Which I cannot do because this thing is blocking me from accessing their site. Attempts to update MBAM have the same result.

Can someone help? Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shrdt

shrdt

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:15 AM

Here's hoping you can access SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING

so restart your PC, be sure to press F8 and select SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING

once on the desktop try to access malwarebytes.org and download the program, then go through install and update, etc.

in the case that the virus is still showing it's ugly head, you might have to go into msconfig and change some times there

let me know what you can and cannot do, and I'll advise the best I can :thumbsup:

#3 prittidayzee

prittidayzee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:43 AM

I restarted my computer and pressed F8.
A black screen appeared with white letters.
"Start computer normally" was highlighted towards the bottom of the list.
"Safe mode with networking" was close to the top.
Instructions at the bottom said to move up and down with the arrow keys and then press enter when chosen selection was highlighted.
Pressing arrow keys had no effect. Pressing enter had no effect. Waiting five minutes and trying again had no effect.
I turned the computer off and tried again. Same result.
I turned computer off, let it restart normally, and came back here.

#4 shrdt

shrdt

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:15 PM

is this a laptop or a desktop?

and so I understand this right, when the safe mode screen appears, just as you described the arrow keys do not allow selection of anything

Hmm... well to get more answers to hopefully get this fixed for you do you have another keyboard that is in good working order?

do you know how to access msconfig?

we'll get this working for ya! No worries :thumbsup:

#5 prittidayzee

prittidayzee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:27 PM

It is a desktop. The keyboard works fine, I use the arrow keys all the time.

The extent of my knowledge about msconfig: You go to start, run, type "msconfig", and you can add or delete items to the startup menu.

#6 Sashacat

Sashacat

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:34 PM

Hello :thumbsup:
Let's use the following approved tools to begin resolving your issues:

Your computer may still still be infected.

Please get the following free programs:

ATF Cleaner:
http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=c...5&Itemid=25

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox browser
Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.

If you use Opera browser
Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.

Notes for Windows Vista users:
On Windows Vista that "Windows Temp" is disabled, to empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Rkill:
http://www.technibble.com/rkill-repair-tool-of-the-week/

Rkill is a small, freeware and portable tool designed to terminate active malware processes allowing you to use other removal tools. Rkill is made by a Microsoft MVP “Lawrence Abrams” and is available in 4 different extensions. An .EXE, .COM, .SCR and a .PIF file.
The reason why Rkill comes in 4 different versions is because some malware will block .EXE files in an attempt to prevent you from running other malware removal tools, so this gets around that problem.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Please see the post by quietman7 (Global Moderator):
For those having trouble running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/267354/for-those-having-trouble-running-malwarebytes-anti-malware/
See the "Additional Note" near the bottom of the post for information on the Error 732.

SUPERAntiSpyware:
How to use SUPERAntiSpyware to scan and remove malware from your computer
Posted by Grinler on November 2, 2009

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...pyware-tutorial

1. Run ATF Cleaner
2. Run Rkill
3. Immediately after running Rkill, scan with Malwarebytes' (be sure to update it BEFORE scanning).
follow instructions: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/267354/for-those-having-trouble-running-malwarebytes-anti-malware/
4. Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware (be sure to update it BEFORE scanning).
follow instructions: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...pyware-tutorial

In your next reply, please post the ENTIRE CONTENTS of the Malwarebytes' and SUPERAntiSpyware scan results logs.
Copy/paste the entire text, especially the top sections that show the database version.

When you report back, be sure to specify what symptoms, if any, you are still experiencing.
If we don't change the direction we are going,
We are likely to end up where we are headed.

#7 prittidayzee

prittidayzee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:05 PM

To Sashacat:

I ran ATF-Cleaner with no difficulties. It freed up 400+MB.

I could not download any of the four RKill extensions. Each time the process was terminated partway through. Further attempts to download told me that it couldn't find the file.

I tried changing MBAM's name to explorer.exe when I downloaded it, it still gave me the 732 error message.

When I clicked on the SuperAntiSpyware link it said it couldn't load the page.

#8 Sashacat

Sashacat

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:23 PM

Did you try this:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...alware-tutorial

Using Rkill to terminate infection processes that may be stopping MBAM from running
If all of these steps do not work, then you can download, or copy from a clean computer, the Rkill program and run it on the infected computer. Rkill will then try and terminate the infections that may be stopping you from installing MalwareBytes'. Rkill, under various names, can be downloaded from the following links: (See article for links)

Once Rkill runs, it will create a log of what applications were terminated. You can then attempt to start the installation of MalwareBytes or start the program again.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You may have to go to a "clean" (uninfected computer) to download Rkill and Malwarebytes', and then carry them to the infected computer by way of a cd or a USB jump drive.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Our goal right now is to terminate the processes of the "bad things", so you can scan with Malwarebytes'.

Please report back.

#9 prittidayzee

prittidayzee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:45 PM

To Sashacat:

Yes, I tried everything in the tutorial. I did that before I even posted here.

I won't have access to a clean computer for several hours. When I do, I will try downloading RKill and MBAM on it and transfer them to mine. Thank you for the advice.

#10 Sashacat

Sashacat

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:51 PM

Will await your next reply and logs.

#11 Captain Crink

Captain Crink

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:28 PM

You could try downloading the standalone Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool onto another pc and transfer to your infected machine on a memory stick. Be careful in case the memory stick gets infected!!

#12 prittidayzee

prittidayzee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:11 PM

Okay, I downloaded Rkill on my brother's laptop, put it on a CD, and then tried to run it on my computer. When I tried to run it, I got two messages. The first is a windows message and it says "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." The second is an alert from McAfee that says "Trojan Detected! Trojan Artemis!27B251227023" and gives me the options of either "restart and scan my computer" or "close this alert." Also I tried renaming the file and it wouldn't let me do that either, said it was a read-only disc.

#13 prittidayzee

prittidayzee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:36 AM

Somebody please write me back and help me.

I woke up this morning there were "Security Center" icons all over my computer.

It won't let me access some of my programs (Mozilla Firefox, MBAM, and McAfee; don't know what else) claiming it has blocked access because the program has a Trojan.

I did check Add/Remove Programs to see if I could remove it that way, but it is not listed.

Please tell me how to make Security Center go away and my computer work normally again.

#14 Sashacat

Sashacat

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:40 PM

It sounds like "Security Center" recognizes the name of the Rkill file you tried to run.
The article:
How to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to scan and remove malware from your computer
Posted by Grinler on February 16, 2010

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...alware-tutorial
gives different links to download RKill with 7 various file names.

The technibble.com site has RKill with 4 different file extensions:
http://www.technibble.com/rkill-repair-tool-of-the-week/
Rkill is a small, freeware and portable tool designed to terminate active malware processes allowing you to use other removal tools. Rkill is made by a Microsoft MVP “Lawrence Abrams” and is available in 4 different extensions. An .EXE, .COM, .SCR and a .PIF file.
The reason why Rkill comes in 4 different versions is because some malware will block .EXE files in an attempt to prevent you from running other malware removal tools, so this gets around that problem.

If you didn't try all of the different RKill files, try that.
The first step is terminating the process of the "bad things" so you can begin scanning/fixing with SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes'.

Let me know if that works for you.

#15 prittidayzee

prittidayzee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:26 PM

Sashacat, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR WRITING ME BACK. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I was beginning to feel more than a little desperate.

I typoed in the last post, it is "Security Central". There is a listing for it in the spyware removal tab on this site and I tried all the instructions there which did not help either.

At Noon today I ran Webroot Spysweeper and it found "rogue security products". I quarentined and deleted it. Since then the annoying Security Central popups have stopped, but all the other problems with not being to update my antivirus software or run MBAM remain.

I tried running all 7 file names of RKill and all of them did the same thing, started to download, then stopped halfway though. No error messages, just disappeared. I tried saving them to the desktop and was given a error message about the disk being copyright protected. I tried the other 4 file names on the other link too, none of them worked either.

I noticed in the link you gave me there was a section about making sure that making sure that Tools/Internet Options/Connections/Lan Settings was not set to a proxy server. Mine appears to be fine, the box they warned about being checked is blank.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR REPLY.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users