Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Duplicate Files

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 transpete321

transpete321

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 07 September 2005 - 04:23 PM

I notice that all my files in "C:\MyDocuments" are also duplicated in "C:\Windows\Profiles\MyName\MyDocuments".

Files are also duplicated in "C:\Win98 SE\..." and "c:\win98\upgd\...".

The duplications were not deliberate from a user standpoint, but maybe came about during WIN98 updates or are some WIN98 "feature" I don't understand. Doesn't this duplication take up twice the drivespace otherwise needed? Is there any harm in deleting one copy? What is the best practice so far as which copy should remain?

Thanks for the education,
George

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2005 - 04:50 PM

Hi transpete321 and welcome to BC.

I notice that all my files in "C:\MyDocuments" are also duplicated in "C:\Windows\Profiles\MyName\MyDocuments".

The files in the latter are only available under your login.

Files are also duplicated in "C:\Win98 SE\..." and "c:\win98\upgd\...".

The first folder would allow you to reinstall 98 from the hard drive and also allow drivers to be installed, corrupt files to be replaced etc. That folder has everything on your Win98SE CD if you have one. The second folder seems to indicate that this computer was upgraded from 95 and contains the information necessary to roll it back. Go into the second folder and look for readme.txt.

Is hard drive space an issue? Go into My Computer, right click the C: drive and select properties to see your free, used and total space. Apologies if you already know that.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 transpete321

transpete321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2005 - 06:29 PM

Thank you for your kind response. I have a 30GB drive with 24.1GB used and 4.49GB free so would like to free up drive space if possible. I am the only user on my computer. Is it better to keep the files under my profile or in the main "My Documents" folders? If it doesn't really matter, what's the best practice to follow?

Thank you for the clarification on the WIN98 duplicate files. Would it be wise for me to copy them to a CD-R (since I can't find my original) and therefore free drive space? Assuming the various files in those folders that I currently need (drivers, etc.) are already installed, will moving them off the hard drive cause any problems?

Thanks,
George

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:05 PM

If you want your files to be private it would be best to leave the ones in your profile as they are accessed with a password. Having said that, depending on what you have in My Documents, you may not free up a lot of space if they are mostly .doc's or other text files.

Your Win98SE folder may contain a lot of .cab files. If so, that is a copy of your installation CD. I see in your other topic you may have the same files in C:\Windows\Options\Cabs. Both of those are common ways to put your setup files on your hard drive.

You can safely move those to a CD. Once the OS is installed you don't need those on the hard drive except if you add hardware or run System File Checker but they can be accessed from the CD for the same purposes. If you do decide to burn those, copy them rather than move them and then delete the folder if the copy is successful. If you move them and something goes wrong you will stand a chance of losing them.

I still recommend you use Ccleaner. You may be suprised what you can delete. One 98 user on this board reclaimed 5GB.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 transpete321

transpete321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:20 PM

If I understand correctly, my best course of action is as follows:

1) Use the C:\Windows\Profile\MyName\MyDocuments folder to contain all files currently in the C:\MyDocuments folder, and once I'm certain I've kept everything I need in the Profile, it is safe to delete the duplicate documents in the main MyDocuments folder. After that, I can only retrieve the documents if I'm logged in under my name.

2) Copy the WIN98SE folder completely onto the CD-R. After the CD-R is confirmed to have a readable copy, I can safely delete the WIN98SE folder. (Does this same instruction apply to the Win98upgr folder?)

3) I'm currently using "System Cleaner 4.9" to identify duplicate files and other files that are candidates for backup compression and deletion. What's your opinion of "System Cleaner"? Is "Ccleaner" a more thorough cleaning product? Are there any cautions I should be aware of before I use either product? Where can I obtain "Ccleaner"?

Continued thanks,
George

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:39 PM

!. Yes

2. Copy the contents of the Win98SE folder to CD for easier access when its needed. You only need the Win98upgr folder if you intend to roll the machine back to 95. If 98 was added as an upgrade to 95 (which it seems it was) you will need to prove ownership of a previous Windows OS in order to install 98 from the Win98SE copy as an upgrade installation requires that. You can tell if the 98 was an upgrade rather than a clean install by looking in Add/Remove Programs for Uninstall Windows 98 or something similar.

3. Have never used System Cleaner 4.9 but it I looked and it seems to do the same as Ccleaner, without the backups. You might want to delete those if you have any. I put a link to Ccleaner in a previous post. Its just a small program and won't hurt to try it.

#7 transpete321

transpete321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2005 - 11:19 PM

Thanks again for your responses. I've eliminated the duplicate files and have run Cclean on the system. I agree, it's a great little program. I appreciate the swift and patient manner in which you answered my questions. We can consider this post most satisfactorily closed.

Best regards,
George

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users