Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting failed email notes for emails I never sent..i fear a bot.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 marquezrn

marquezrn

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:23 AM

Hello,

About 4 days ago I noticed Delivery Status Notification (Failure) emails coming into my hotmail and gmail accounts about emails I never sent. [note: I access both accounts through Outlook 2003 on my machine, along with my old aol acct]

I took a look at my Sent emails folder and it looks like this has been going on for some time. Unfortunately, i purge that folder without paying attention so I only see as far back as 12/09. Who knows how long this has been happening.

I installed MBAM and ran a full scan a couple of days ago and it found and deleted only one threat...but the emails look like they are still going out. It looks like my computer is being used to send out SPAM attacks.

As far as changes to my system...I have not made any changes or installations recently. I am running Windows Live OneCare as my antivirus for the last couple of years at least (until later this year, when they will discontinue the product). I keep my machine up to date through Microsoft Updates and I am running Window XP.

Again, I just noticed the failed delivery notices a few days ago but it looks like its been going on for a while (sent msgs show 12/09 dates)

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shrdt

shrdt

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:44 AM

do you have a different computer? one that would hopefully not be infected?

I would log into that computer, go to the websites that you use for email, and change your passwords.

Do you have a disk for Outlook 2003? if so, uninstall the program. Enter Safe mode, Run Mbam, and any other antivirus programs you may have.

after the scans show 0 infections, return to the normal desktop, and try to install Outlook again.

if you don't have the disk for outlook, this might be an issue where you have to make a tough choice.

Lose the use of outlook, and disable the bot from being able to send emails, but have to use the internet for email checkingness

OR keep outlook, but change your settings so NOTHING is sent without a Yes No Box... but even then there are some bots that can bypass that...

so here's hoping for the best :thumbsup:

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:50 AM

A great deal of SPAM masks itself as "Email-Deamon" because most ISP filters are naturally set to ignore that source. Unless there is some kind of traceable trail leading back to your computer, you should simply deleted them from your inbox.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 marquezrn

marquezrn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:37 AM

Changed pswds and reinstalled outlook...
Now using internet sites to check email (suxs but..better safe than)...
No spam emails outgoing or failed delivery notifications so far since...

Thank you.

Sorry for the late reply but both my machines appear to be walking down the tunnel towards the white light...

Regards,

RNM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users