Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cursor freezes Periodically

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 transpete321

transpete321

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 07 September 2005 - 04:15 PM

My cursor freezes for about 7-10 seconds at a time, for no apparent reason, no matter what application I'm in, every 10-15 minutes or so. It's very annoying and I'm not certain exactly what changed when it started doing this. Here's the system information, let me know if you have other questions regarding settings and so forth:
Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
Clean install using OEM Preinstall Kit /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS /IS /IW /IQ /ID /IV /IZ /II /NR /II /C /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IE 5 6.0.2800.1106
Normal mode
CLONE
CentaurHauls x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 3
504MB RAM
35% system resources free
Windows-managed swap file on drive C (4578MB free)
Available space on drive C: 4578MB of 29307MB (FAT32)

Greatly appreciate any advice about how to resolve this annoyance.
Thanks,
George

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:47 PM

Are you sure your swap file and free space on the drive are the same?
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 transpete321

transpete321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2005 - 11:24 PM

The system information shows they are the same but I can only go by what I see since I don't know other ways to check the system. Are the swap file and the system file supposed to be the same? I don't know much about how these things interact.

#4 transpete321

transpete321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2005 - 07:46 AM

It appears I've solved the problem. I ran AutoRuns and shut off any startup programs that can be manually started. I ran XoftSpy and it discovered a piece of a Trojan that had not been previously discovered by McAfee and Symantic (even with the most recent update definitions), so I trashed malware and adware. I ran Error Nuker and resolved registry issues. I then removed duplicated files and defragmented the disk. The result is that resources went from 32% to 71% and I gained another 1gig available space on the drive. I don't know what fix or fixes solved the problem, but now the system is quite a bit faster and the cursor no longer freezes. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users