Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

p4 2.8ghz 1mb l2

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thegodgen

thegodgen

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:16 AM

my mobo asus p4sd-la Yale says it supports 256/512kb l2 yet i am able to use 1mb l2 is this pushing it or should i get an even faster chip say 3.4ghz extreme edition :thumbsup: with 3mb of l2 and i think 2mb of l3 800mhz fsb the board supports up to a Prescott 3.6ghz CPU 478 socket and i want to keep useing the pc since i am on a budget and i can pick up the p4 for as little as $50 or less

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:20 AM

IMO, upgrading a CPU on that board...may result in some gain, but it will probably not be noticeable/worthwhile. You are already dealing with a system where replacement parts will cost you more than new parts for newer systems and supported parts for that board...will not be mainstream items available at a typical computer parts supplier.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c00041640

I would increase the RAM installed to maximum supported (4GB)...or replace the board/CPU/RAM. The difference between spending $50 on an older system and spending less than $200 to basically create a new system...by upgrading the items I mentioned...is dramatic, IMO.

Example: $90 motherboard/CPU

Example: $90 RAM . You could cut the RAM cost in half by just going with 2GB, rather than the max.

Louis

#3 thegodgen

thegodgen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:36 AM

ty for ur tip i like Intel over amd any day as amd is slower i think ill get a Intel Pentium dual core and socket 720 board o buy the way a buddy of mine had an old p4 extreme cpu ohe just gave it to me for nothing cant beat free its 2mb l2 and 2mb l3 ht very fast for a single core cpu 4.3 win7 rating

Edited by thegodgen, 28 February 2010 - 07:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users