Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

do not trust previous tech from Bleeping computer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 brianch

brianch

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:14 AM

I just had a tech assist me with cleaning my system of viruses and malware, but ended up with a test virus EICAR being placed on my system. I realize that EICAR is not a real virus and unlikely to do any harm to my computer, but I do not appreciate a tech from a site I trust(ed) placing ANYTHING on my computer without my permission.

I would appreciate a senior tech assisting me with verifying my system is free from any other programs he might have placed on my system. I'm not paranoid, but if you are willing to sneak one file by, why not another?

Thank you for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:39 AM

Hello,

I reviewed the topic where 1972vet helped you, and he certainly did NOT place that test virus on your computer. 1972vet is a trustworthy and appreciated helper at this site. On top of that, just like all of us here, he is a volunteer, who offers his free time to help others.

Nowhere in the topic he asked you to do something out of the ordinary. If you are not okay with the way you are helped, you can discuss it of course, but you need to have a good reason for that. The last post from 1972vet explains the issues quite well, so I suggest you post the requested log and continue there.

If you have any issues, you can take that up with the BC staff, do not post other topics.

Since you have already an open topic, I am closing this.

Edited by elise025, 26 February 2010 - 11:40 AM.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users