Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I cannot install Anti-Virus/Spyware!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CB8504

CB8504

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:50 AM

I'm trying to install the free versions of Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy.

When I begin to install Ad-Aware, I get through a few steps until this message pops up:
"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime 9.0 Service Pack 1 could not be installed. Please use Windows Update to manually install this update on your system. Ad-Aware Setup cannot continue."

So I go to Start>Windows Update

A Internet Explorer window pops up and I guess it's trying to connect to the internet. BUT it doesnt work. It basically tells me I have a connection problem. My current web browser is Firefox and I don't know why Internet Explorer doesnt work or why it wasnt working in the first place that made me result to Firefox.

So since I dont have Internet Explorer, I can't do Windows Update and "manually install" whatever update the Ad-Aware is telling me to do in order to continue the installation. And since I cannot install the Anti-Virus, I cannot get rid of the virus. Several websites tell me that if I notice a virus, I should run an anti-virus scan immediately but I can't even get one downloaded to my computer.

This is how I know I have at least two viruses:

Run MSconfig. Start>Run>type "msconfig" Selected Startup tab and was suppose to get rid of unnecessary programs. I went to processlibrary.com to check against their database. I had two that came up as red flags and told me they were trojans and that I should remove immediately. One was "SHINE.exe" and the other "sf.exe"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shrdt

shrdt

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:11 AM

OK, I suggest not to use Ad-Aware since I have heard to many times that the program has been hacked and most viruses have a work around so that Ad-Aware doesn't detect them properly. This is just going by 9 out of 10 geeks that I talk to on a regular basis so don't hate me at the hackers lol

I suggest Malwarebytes instead, Spybot is ok since I've not heard anything negative about it so far...

Go into safe mode. Do the Start>Run>msconfig, and when the screen appears select " Selective Startup "

once that is selected click on the Startup Tab

at the bottom right corner, there is Help, above that is Disable all, left click on Disable all once.

NOW click on the Services tab, at the bottom you should see the OK button, above that there should be a " Hide all Microsoft Services "

make sure that check box is checked. this is VERY IMPORTANT! if that box is empty, and you do the next step and save, you will Brick your PC.

WHEN " Hide All Microsoft Services " has a CHECK MARK, there should only be a few, if maybe 10-20 services left in the list ( this is relative and a made up number since all PCs are different and there could be any number of services going or not going on your PC )

if this is true, click on Disable all.

so far, we have disable all startup options, and disable most services that do not need to run, in order to get your PC up and going properly.

************** AGAIN I stress the importance of proper advice following, I take no responsibility if you do not follow step by step advice and your PC bricks out, so BE CAREFUL and be sure to follow the steps just like I'm advising...

Now after double checking that the Startup Tab has no check boxes, and that the Services tab has only disable the services that microsoft Doesn't Need to run.

the OK button should say close ( or still ok, all depends ) click on close ( or ok ) and the PC will ask if you want to reboot, reboot.

Now you should be able to enter safe mode again, but this time use the SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING

Safe Mode with networking should allow you to access the internet without having the virus bother you

if you open Firefox, and can see the internet with no pop ups or problems or anything, go to this website

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...30-081805b2f90b

you should be able to download IE7, why IE7 and not 8? well in my honest opinion 8 has so much bloatware and Bing pushing

I like 7 over 8, and since you need IE to connect to Microsoft Update, there ya go

with this you should be able to download, and install IE7 then get windows to update.

Here's hoping you get through this tl;dr post of mine... Good Luck!

#3 CB8504

CB8504
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:37 PM

But I have already updated the Internet Explorer to the 8 and it still will not connect to the internet through that browser.

#4 shrdt

shrdt

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:41 PM

ah, sorry I misunderstood since you said

So since I dont have Internet Explorer, I can't do Windows Update and "manually install" whatever update the Ad-Aware is telling me to do in order to continue the installation.

I still suggest uninstalling IE8 and reinstalling IE7 since you have stated that IE is giving you problems, and are able to use other internet exploring programs to access the internet...

#5 CB8504

CB8504
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:01 PM

It's telling me I have to diagnose the connection. And then after doing that it's saying that I need to check the firewall settings for these:

HTTP port (80), HTTPS port (443, and FTP port (21)

...and that if that didnt work (which I wasnt sure what I was looking for in the first place) that I need to contact my ISP something or whatever company was in charge of the firewall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users