Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless not working after installing new hard drive

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 AMizener

AMizener

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:27 AM

My desktop computer connects to the internet through a Linksys wireless card (to a Linksys wireless router to a cable modem), has a 500 Gb Seagate hard drive, and runs Windows XP Professional SP 3. I built it myself, and it's about three years old. The hard drive is set up so that it has four partitions: C, M, S, and V; the first being the primary partition and the latter three purely data-storage extended partitions. I used the Windows XP wireless connection utility to manage my internet connection.

I wanted to add storage space, so I purchased a new 1 Tb Samsung hard drive. Both hard drives, as well as the CD-DVD drive, have SATA connections.

I hooked it up, and used Norton PartionMagic 8.0 to initialize and partition it. I first copied and enlarged the C drive (from 60 Gb to 350 Gb) on the old hard drive with the intention of creating a bootable backup. The remaining space was partitioned as a single extended partition.

When the computer restarted after the partitioning was complete, a new window on startup appeared, before the Windows loading screens - it gave me the option of choosing the operating system I wished to boot from: Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Professional (#1). It booted into the first option because my keyboard keys couldn't change the selection.

Because of a cable switchup, I accidentally fist booted from the 1Tb drive first. When I did so, my wireless was not working. When using the Linksys utility, it told me that I was connected to the access point but the internet could not be found. When I tried disabling that and going to the wireless connection utility in XP, it told me "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection." I went to the Network Connections window, and all network connections had disappeared. I set up a new wireless network connection, and it stuck on "Acquiring Network Address."

I shut the computer down and swapped the cables so the computer would boot first from the old drive. When it booted (getting the same choose-your-OS screen before the Windows loading screen as before), I had the same problem.

Next, I shut the computer down and unplugged the new drive (both power and SATA cables), and restarted the computer. The Linksys utility successfully connected to the internet (which is how I'm posting this now), and all of the network connections from before are back, but the Windows Wireless Network Connection utility still gives me the same message: "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection."

I really want to use the new hard drive (and I really could use a bootable backup), but if I can't connect to the internet, my computer loses about 90% of its utility.

Please let me know what to do to try and fix this. My first source for computer help drew a blank, so I'm turning to the internet for help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users