Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezing often, wondering if XP repair install is only option

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jmo1112

jmo1112

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:10 AM

Hi. I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop, with Windows XP Pro SP3. I have been running into an issue with my computer freezing for the past couple weeks. There is no rhyme or reason to the freezing. It happens when I'm surfing the net, when the computer is idle, when I just start it and don't open a single program. But it's not a complete freeze. I can move my mouse. At first when it freezes, I can hover my mouse over my quick start links, and it will recognize the hover. I can sometimes open my Start Menu, but the Start Menu has no functionality. Sometimes I can even click something inside the program and it will recognize the command at first, but then freeze, and then not recognize any commands. The clock will also stop when it freezes. I can leave it on all day, and the clock will be 4 hours behind and not changing time, but I can still move the mouse. I eventually have to manually shut it down by holding the power button.
I initially had some spyware issues (which brought me to this site). I posted in the spyware section of this forum, and after cleaning my system of the spyware, this problem still exists. I have run every scan recommended by the staff member helping me, but my computer comes back clean of spy/malware. I have downloaded Process Explorer to see what processes have a high CPU usage during the freeze, and nothing is out of the ordinary. I downloaded Speedfan, and my computer freezes at a cool 33 degrees C. I just don't know what else to do.

I even shot two videos of what's going on when my computer freezes, because I don't know if my explanations here are sufficient. Here are the links. They're both short and under 1 minute long.

If you'd like to see the thread from my first post, here's the link.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1634146

Any help or idea someone could give me would be greatly appreciated, even if the only idea is the repair install.

Thanks

Edited by jmo1112, 26 February 2010 - 01:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Funnel Web_*

Guest_Funnel Web_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:36 AM

can you do a system restore to say about 3-4 weeks before it started this freezing??

just a thought!!!

#3 jmo1112

jmo1112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:01 PM

I haven't thought of that. That may be worth a shot. I'm also wondering if hardware can cause this, and not just software.

I looked in the Event Viewer, and I only have a Warning message under Applications (and this warning happens often, and one error under System.

The warning is this:
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 2/26/2010
Time: 10:53:45 AM
User: JRM-INSPIRON\Justin
Computer: JRM-INSPIRON
Description:
Detection of product '{4192EAC0-6B36-4723-B216-D0E86E7757AC}', feature 'PaintShopPhotoAlbum' failed during request for component '{D2D7B4BF-6CCA-11D5-8B3F-00105A9846E9}'

And the error is this:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 2/26/2010
Time: 10:53:21 AM
User: N/A
Computer: JRM-INSPIRON
Description:
The Zune Bus Enumerator Driver service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

I don't even know what that is. I don't have a Zune.

#4 Guest_Funnel Web_*

Guest_Funnel Web_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:40 PM

have you installed zune media player?? if so try reinstalling it again. i think thats the reason for the zune emunerator error message your getting as its looking for the drivers at a guess. and if you did load zune media player it loads the drivers during setup.

but you could try the system restore to before you had this trouble :thumbsup:

Edited by Funnel Web, 26 February 2010 - 12:42 PM.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:31 PM

How does your lap top feel to the touch? If it is extremely hot then your video card is over heating. My wifes E1705 did the samething, and eventually the video card died and had to be replaced.

#6 jmo1112

jmo1112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:00 PM

It's actually not hot at all. I looked in the msconfig to see what was happening at Startup, and I disabled Adobe Photoshop CS4 Device manager. I don't know what that is, but since I've disabled it, I've had my computer on for about 2 hours and no freeze yet. Could that have been the problem? And what is that?

#7 jmo1112

jmo1112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:53 PM

Well it definitely is not totally cured. Completely froze when I tried to put it in hibernate. Froze on the blue screen that says "Preparing to hibernate."

#8 Guest_Funnel Web_*

Guest_Funnel Web_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:26 AM

hi jmo,

dont know if this will help or no but you could download speedfan and check your your computer temps etc,

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

SpeedFan allows you to have a deeper view of the status of your computer. Almost every computer includes support for hardware monitoring. Accessing digital temperature sensors is really useful. If you are trying to figure out why your pc hangs when under heavy load or after some hours of usage, SpeedFan might help you to find the real cause. Very often it is a poor power supply, or an improperly installed heatsink that lead to behaviours that we tend to associate with errors from the operating system, but that are not. SpeedFan automatically searches your computer for interesting chips: the hardware monitor chips. SpeedFan can expose voltages, fan speeds and temperatures. On rare occasions, the BIOS doesn't activate such features. SpeedFan tries to enable them as long as this is a safe thing to do. Not only the motherboard is searched, but also some video cards and almost every recent hard disk. SpeedFan can access status info from EIDE, SATA and even SCSI drives, showing, in a consistent way, internal data that can be used to diagnose current and future hard disk failures. This is known as S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology). At the lowest level, SpeedFan is a hardware monitor software that can access digital temperature sensors, but its main feature is that it can control fan speeds according to the temperatures inside your pc, thus reducing noise.

anyway hope it helps

also there is this program to try its called motherboard monitor

Motherboard Monitor (MBM) is a tool that will display information from the sensor chips on your motherboard in your Windows system tray. MBM supports a wide range of Chipsets & Sensor Chip combinations.

It can sense temps from Cpu, HDD, GFx and Mobo. It does also sense Fan speeds. If it senses that your hardware is overheated it can protect it by Shutting it down (user configured). To see if MBM5 supports your hardware check out the Motherboard List

It does also record all temps and fans for later viewing.
This is a great invention if you want to overclock. Example to see how well cooled your computer runs over a time. Full load or idle time. Its recomended for all home built systems. Specially if you make your own HEAT SINKS or just test you newly OVERCLOCKED CPU or GFx Card.

get it here
http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=311&file=9&evp=c230ac3b359a1981f1b0a9ee8fa4a983

also on the beep noise it could point to a couple of things.

1 it could be a faulty memory stick, so you could try taking out a memory stick and use just the one to see if thats the culprit, or it could be video card.

but these are just hunches on my part, but it don't hurt to try these things. and also have you tried the system restore that i mentioned?? if not give it a try, and if it still does this freezing then its definately hard ware related issue :thumbsup:

Edited by Funnel Web, 27 February 2010 - 06:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users