Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-install 7 over 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:58 PM

Hi everyone!

I had issues with my computer timing out when connecting to my LAN setup.

I posted my problem in the NETWORKING forums with no resolve to my issue as to why my LAN connection timed out before actaully connecting.

Through frustrations and confusion, I got to thinking how I resolved my issues with Windows 98--Windows XP when things just couldn't seem to be fixed.

I gave it a shot and put my Windows 7 DVD installation disk into the DVD drive and waited for it to load. (Note: This is done while logged into Windows)

Once it did, the only option available was INSTALL. So I clicked install.

It then gave me two options.

Option 1 was full NEW install (which wipes any previous copy of Windows.)

Option 2 was UPGRADE this version of Windows.

Now being that I already have an Authentic Genuine copy of Windows 7 installed, I tried the upgrade option to see if it would work.

The installation went through just as if I was upgrading an earlier version of windows.

You will need to have your Windows DVD product key available near the end of the upgrade.

Re-activation might also be needed but won't fail unless you changed a lot of hardware during the upgrade (which is highly unlikely)

During my upgrade several Windows files and .Net Framework client 4 was found to be corrupted, those files were repaired and when the computer rebooted, my Local Area Connection was fully repaired and connected instantly to Windows Activation Central.

My LAN is now repaired, all my files, programs, desktop shortcuts are all fully intact and functional.

The reason for my post is because I have not seen this yet mentioned here in these forums as a repair option. (Only the boot to the DVD repair option, which requires a backup system image or system restore point to do the repair, and if you don't have either this might be your best option)

The reason for the re-install is to have windows replace the missing files or repair corruted ones right from the installation disk. But the object is not to have it over-write your present installation while doing it.

Before I attempted this, I noticed a few things slowing down and acting weird. Now my Windows performance has increased like it was when I first installed it, without the loss of my programs!

If your operating system is on an OEM repair disk your options are slightly different, this post involves a commercially purchased Genuine copy of Windows.

Sorry this post was a bit confusing, but perhaps if you follow my instructions, you might resolve your problems too.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 February 2010 - 12:41 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:16 AM

Also It would be a good idea,if you make a repair disk for future use while your system is in a good state and you have it set up the way you like ,as this will save you from having to do a fresh install in the future . Just type "create" in start menu and select the first option that appears at top of list ( Create a System Repair Disk )and follow directions ,it can be used to boot your computer,it also contains Windows system recovery tools that can repair or restore your computer from a system image . Cheers

Edited by sleepwalker, 26 February 2010 - 03:53 AM.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:52 AM

I suggest you make a repair disk for future use while your system is in a good state and you have it set up the way you like ,as this will save you from having to do a fresh install in the future . Just type make repair disk in start menu search and follow directions for making a repair disk,it's easy and will save you a lot of time and headaches. cheers

Thanks for your input and very sound advice!

In fact I am making a disk right after I send this post.

I had origionally made one of those in the Windows 7 "action center" However my problem had already started happening by the time I made the disk. It just got worse as time went on.

The most likely cause of corrupted files is installing programs that over-write healthy files with buggy versions.

Although most of Windows system files are protected, there are files that new installs can over-write that can cause system performance issues down the line.

Specially .DLL files.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:04 AM

Good to know as I have not experienced that problem yet, my edit in my previous post was to correct my directions, as when I tried them I found out they didn't,work like I thought Its been a while since I made my repair Disk. LOL

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:03 AM

Good to know as I have not experienced that problem yet, my edit in my previous post was to correct my directions, as when I tried them I found out they didn't,work like I thought Its been a while since I made my repair Disk. LOL

Well its found in the Control Panel under Back up and restore There is a link to the left side of this window that offers to create a Repair disk I recommend using a DVD-R disk if possible.

It can also be found by clicking the little white Action Center flag in the system tray.

If you have created the GodMode Icon on your desktop, it's easily found in the menu listings there as well.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:54 PM

Networking issues are usually extremely easy to diagnose with a little time. If you were timing out it would indicate a cabling or interface issues. If you use wireless it would be a weak signal or material used in the construction of your house or dwelling is blocking the signal. If you tried all the above then more then likely your card is dead or drivers are corrupted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users