Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE opens, flashes, and then closes immediately

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sashacat

Sashacat

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:48 PM

Hello :thumbsup:

FYI, I was referred to post here by MRT.
Today I did Windows updates.
Before updating, I had Win XP SP2 and IE6 (IE6 used to work fine).
After updating, I had IE7 and XP SP3.

After going to IE7 and XP SP3:
  • IE will not work. IE flashes open and closes very fast.
  • The text in the cmd prompt dialog box is now teeny tiny microscopic (was normal sized before).
  • Wireless connection will not work. (worked fine before; now using ethernet connection to DSL modem).
I found this topic on Microsoft's site:
When you start Internet Explorer, it opens, flashes, and then closes immediately
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967896
Tried "resetting" IE, as per Microsoft's instructions.....didn't work.
I uninstalled IE7, and IE6 still did not work.
Downloaded IE8 and am about to install it, per Microsoft's instructions in above-referenced topic.

Anybody ever heard of this, text in cmd prompt dialog box going teeny tiny after IE7 and XP SP3 updates, and what the fix is for this?

Regarding the wireless connection not working after IE7 and XP SP3 updates:
I right clicked wireless icon in tray area of taskbar, hit "Repair" and it was unable to "repair".
Went back to Control Panel, Network Connections, right clicked on Wireless Network Connection, hit Properties, clicked TCP/IP, hit Properties. There is a checkmark in "obtain IP Address Automatically". I thought maybe I could type it in manually, so I went to the cmd prompt, did an IPCONFIG. The top part has the proper info for IP Address (Ethernet Connection, don't want to post my IP Address). The lower part (DNS) for some strange reason has 0.0.0.0.
How do I fix this, would like to be able to use the wireless connection, instead of being tied to this ethernet connection.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
EDIT:
Found the answer to the teeny tiny print in the cmd prompt box!!!! :trumpet:
(tutorial with screen shots)
http://www.leeindy.com/cmdpromptwindowsize.shtml
Got that issue taken care of.

Downloaded IE8, haven't installed it yet.
It's late,I'm tired. :inlove:

Edited by Sashacat, 26 February 2010 - 12:37 AM.

If we don't change the direction we are going,
We are likely to end up where we are headed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:04 AM

Well...the only question I have...is do you have a boxmaker (Dell, HP, etc.) system?

If so, you should have read their documentation/suggestions before ever installing SP3.

Louis

#3 Sashacat

Sashacat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:14 PM

Hello hamluis :thumbsup:
I have a Compaq Presario R3000 (old laptop).
I did not read the laptop manufacturer's documentation.
I had resisted going XP SP3 because I was afraid "wierdness" would happen,
but I did it because of security issues (see my post in Malware Removal Logs section).

My cmd prompt box issue is resolved.
My wireless now works, because the Bellsouth DSL (now AT&T) tech finally figured out that by changing it from Channel 6 to Channel 11, it just magically worked.

Still haven't resolved the IE issue and still haven't installed IE 8 because apparently this "IE opens, flashes, closes immediately" issue is just as common in IE8 as it is in IE7. I have been reading Microsoft topics for several hours now,
list of fixes incl'd in XP SP3, etc., and am SERIOUSLY considering UNINSTALLING XP SP3 update. Just don't know what the best course of action is yet.

Just found this on the HP website:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=442914#
It mentions this:
Start , All Programs , Accessories , System Tools , Backup
(There is no "Backup" in my System Tools.)

I do have Microsoft Recover Console installed, don't know if that makes a difference, or is helpful in any way.

Thanks for your reply.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:17 PM

Some HP systems have a known problem with installing SP3.

HP Instructions for SP3 - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c01452495

SP3 Install Issues, Sysprep Used On Image - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=953356. From what I see, your system could have an AMD processor or an Intel processor.

Update for SP3 AMDIntelBoxmaker Problems Installing - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

You can verify which CPU you have...Start/right-click on My Computer, select Properties...your CPU is the 4th data item listed, under Computer.

Louis

#5 Sashacat

Sashacat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:09 PM

:thumbsup: Hello hamluis and thanks very much for taking the time to hunt the articles and provide those links.

I do have an Intel (Celeron 2.8GHz) CPU in this old laptop.

HP recommends
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=442914#
obtaining XP SP3 by way of the Windows Update, which I did. I actually didn't go hunting for it. It was just in the list of Windows updates.

Thankfully I'm not experiencing the "STOP: 0x0000007E" error code that's detailed on http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=953356.

At this point, I am undecided as to whether I should intall IE8, or uninstall XP SP3.
I hesitate to uninstall XP SP3 because I don't want a vulnerable system that malware, trojans, etc could breach.

I'm not going to suffer tremendously if I never get IE fixed, because I wasn't an IE fan to begin with and I use Firefox.
So I guess a 3rd alternative would be to just leave it "as is".

I do have another question for you tho, if you don't mind, as to your opinion of which free antivirus/firewall programs are best ?
I used to have AVG free 9. Vundo got through AVG.
I uninstalled AVG Free and switched to Avast free antivirus because I saw a post on this site from a Moderator, who said they used Avast.
I also installed/use Online Armor free firewall.

Right after that, I read another different post by a "forum regular", that has since caused me to question my decision to use Avast:
"FYI- the pc I mentioned above was using AVG free when it was infected with IS 2010. I switched the machine to Avast free and a few weeks later it was re-infected with IS 2010. The person was using Firefox with no add ons for a browser and her daughter was probably not being careful enough when she was on the pc. Anyway, we installed Commodo firewall (you have the option of installing the AV, Firewall, or both) only and she has been clean for several months. You might want to consider doing this. "

I'd like your opinion on whether Avast/Online Armor are adequate, or if I am just setting myself up for future infections to get through, and should I switch to Comodo (combination Firewall and Antivirus). I checked and didn't see it listed in the list of Freeware Replacements:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:28 PM

Well...this is what I would do.

Certainly leave SP3 installed...and leave IE 8 installed. The presence of malware cannot be overstated in 2010, you need all the defenses you can easily obtain.

Try a different browser (temporarily) so that you can help define the problem. If another browser experiences same, it's not an IE8 issue but either hardware or O/S.

Can you access your email normally?

I would run a chkdsk /r of the system, then I would consider what is reflected in Event Viewer as errors...which might explain what's wrong with the system.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 26 February 2010 - 02:28 PM.

#7 Sashacat

Sashacat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:58 PM

:thumbsup: Glad you agree about keeping XP SP3 for security reasons.

Just to clarify, I have not installed IE8 yet.
I downloaded it, but have not installed IE8 because I have concerns it will do the same thing, based on the Microsoft article:
When you start Internet Explorer, it opens, flashes, and then closes immediately
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967896
Another user has the same IE issue here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/298523/internet-explorer-doesnt-open-after-removal-of-malware/

I originally (before Windows Updates yesterday) had IE6 and XP SP2.
AFTER updates, I had IE7 and XP SP3.
That's when IE7 did the "opens, flashes, closes" thing.
MRT recommended uninstall IE7, to revert to (hopefully) a working IE6.
I uninstalled IE7, and IE still did the "opens, flashes, closes" thing.
I tried the Microsoft suggestion of resetting the settings, but it did not resolve the issue.

I have NOT tried the IEFix Utility (suggested by a BC Advisor),
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/298523/internet-explorer-doesnt-open-after-removal-of-malware/
as I am not experiencing any of the problems detailed in its decription:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

Email works fine (Outlook Express).
Firefox works fine.
Wireless works great since DSL tech on phone had me change to Channel 11.

I'll go do the chkdsk /r and then report back.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:44 PM

Well...programs, drivers, and system files become corrupted/damaged every day...so I wouldn't think it's any different with IE.

Any program or Windows function is apt to be corrupted for any number of reasons...some of these result in BSODS, some don't.

Uninstall/reinstall is my historical way of dealing with file corruption...out with the old/damaged, in with the new/undamaged.

Louis

#9 Sashacat

Sashacat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:06 PM

Hello hamluis :thumbsup:
I installed IE8 and it works!!!! :flowers:

Thanks for all your help :trumpet: I'm very grateful :inlove:

One more thing, if you don't mind...
What's your opinion on Avast free antivirus and Online Armor free firewall, versus Comodo combination antivirus/firewall?
Do you think Avast and Online Armor are adequate? Or should I switch to Comodo combination antivirus/firewall ?

Thanks again :cool: :) :P

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:03 PM

Only because you ask :thumbsup:...

IMO, there are many AV/firewall combos that work on a system.

I've tried earlier versions of many...Trend Micro, ZA, Comodo, Symantec, CA, Kerio, and a host of others (when I was in experimental mode).

I would not necessarily be inclined to install Online Armor on a system of mine. Ditto for ZA. I'm fairly open to just about anything else that's a reliable product that I can trust.

FWIW: I currently use the Windows firewall and Avira Free AV (along with SUPERAntispyware) with great confidence and success. I stopped using the Sunbelt Firewall (which I prefer) only recently because it was interfering with my home network and the easy fix was to just use the Windows Firewall.

I also keep Malwarebytes installed on my system, but I do so as much not to protect my systems...but because it's handy when I decide to be a good Samaritan and take in a local system for malware removal.

Louis

#11 Sashacat

Sashacat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:42 PM

:thumbsup: hello hamluis :flowers:

I am glad to know your opinion about things.

I'd always wondered about the Windows firewall, so hearing your opinion about that is especially good to know.

All of my issues have been resolved :trumpet:

Thank you for all the help you give :inlove:

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:07 AM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users