Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Desktop Connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Just Trying My Best

Just Trying My Best

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:43 PM

Hi,

My wife is trying to do a remote connection to her work using the Cisco VPN Client.

She launched the VPN Client, logs into her work server and it drops into the system tray. All is well at this point.

Then she attempts to launch the remote desktop service and we get the following error:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Terminal Services ActiveX control (mstscax.dll)
does not match the version of the client shell.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is what I have done so far...

~ I downloaded a newer version, attempted to copy it into the System32 directory but windows replaces it with the original version.
~ I ran regserv32 to reregister the version that exists in System32. I got the message that it was successful. Same error as above.
~ I put in the OS CD (OEM from Compaq) and selected ->Perform additional tasks, followed by ->Set up Remote Desktop Connection.
This started the install, I agreed to the license, then it terminated, saying the Remote Desktop Connection is part of the original XP installation.

So, I am back to square one.

Any help on this is appreciated.
Danno

PC--Lenovo ThinkCentre M52, Processor--Pentium 4 3.00GHz, Memory--512MB DDR-2, MB--IBM with Intel I945P/PL/G/GZ Chipset
Drive--WD800JD-08LSA0 Sata, Video--Intel 82945G OnBoard, Network--Bell Wireless DSL Modem/Router
OS--Windows XP Professional SP3, Browser--IE 8, Email--Outlook 2002 SP3, Anti-Virus--Bell Internet Secturity Service

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:14 AM

The Cisco VPN Client is performing the remote desktop connection.

#3 Just Trying My Best

Just Trying My Best
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:25 AM

Crytodan

Not this version. You must 1st load the VPN client, then launch Remote Desktop Connection. It turns out that the RDC executable and dll were different versions. ( mstsc.exe was version 5.1.2600.2180 and mstscax.dll was version 6.0.6000.16865).

I hunted on the internet and found mstscax.dll version 5.1.2600.2180, replaced the newer version in system32 with the older one and it now works OK
Danno

PC--Lenovo ThinkCentre M52, Processor--Pentium 4 3.00GHz, Memory--512MB DDR-2, MB--IBM with Intel I945P/PL/G/GZ Chipset
Drive--WD800JD-08LSA0 Sata, Video--Intel 82945G OnBoard, Network--Bell Wireless DSL Modem/Router
OS--Windows XP Professional SP3, Browser--IE 8, Email--Outlook 2002 SP3, Anti-Virus--Bell Internet Secturity Service

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:32 AM

Crytodan

Not this version. You must 1st load the VPN client, then launch Remote Desktop Connection. It turns out that the RDC executable and dll were different versions. ( mstsc.exe was version 5.1.2600.2180 and mstscax.dll was version 6.0.6000.16865).

I hunted on the internet and found mstscax.dll version 5.1.2600.2180, replaced the newer version in system32 with the older one and it now works OK

Glad you fixed it, and glad you posted the fix.

But to be cautious taking dll's off the net is rather risky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users