Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware gone but still problems...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FuturePerfect

FuturePerfect

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:40 PM

I woke up this morning to find Malware on my computer. Using a program I downloaded to get task manager working again and Malwarebytes I think I may have gotten rid of it, but not sure since something still seems to be wrong. I scanned a few more times after the original scan that made the malware screen go away on startup and cannot manually find the file anymore. The last few times no malware was detected, but explorer.exe won't run on startup or when I try to run it manually.

I have vista home basic. The desktop is gone, even my wallpaper, and the start menu. There is just a blue screen. I've searched the internet many times but can't seem to find the same problem, similar but somewhat different, possibly because of a different OS? I tried every fix I can think of. Now I'm stuck, I don't know what to do, and afraid of losing everything on my computer.

I also wanted to add that when I use task manager to run explorer.exe it brings up the "Computer" window listing Local Disc, Recovery, etc. I'm able to browse files that way but as soon as I close it, "explorer.exe" disappears from task manager.

Edited by FuturePerfect, 25 February 2010 - 10:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:49 AM

1. Go to Start
2. In "Start search" type "regedit" (without the quotes)
3. Hit Enter (this opens the Registry Editor)
4. Expand: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion by clicking on the tiny right-point arrowhead to the left of each
5. Scroll down to Winlogon and click on it once
6. In the list that appears in the right-hand pane, find the word Shell and double click it
7. In the small window that opens, if anything other than "explorer.exe" is in the Value Data field, delete it and type "explorer.exe" (without the quotes)
8. Click OK
9. Close the Registry Editor
10. Reboot

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 FuturePerfect

FuturePerfect
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:07 AM

There is no start. Is there another way I could do that without the start menu?

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:23 AM

You can do it through Task Manager>New Task and typing:
regedit
When registry editor opens, start with backing up the registry: File>Export and save registry to a safe location.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 FuturePerfect

FuturePerfect
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:15 AM

OMG that worked! Instead of "explorer.exe" it had the name of the malware program that's no longer on my computer. No more blue screen! THANK YOU!!!

#6 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:32 AM

FuturePerfect that is great. Glad to know it's better. :huh:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#7 FuturePerfect

FuturePerfect
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:33 AM

Still freaked though that one program could do such havoc on my computer. As of today I'm gonna be triple backing up everything I don't want to lose using an external hard drive, lots of little usb drives, and cd-r's.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:31 AM

Nice job :huh:
I still suggest, you go to "Am I Infected?" forum to make sure, your computer is 100% clean.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users