Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search results redirect problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lazatx

lazatx

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:39 PM

Hello BleepingComputer experts! I am running into a browser redirection problem with links from Google and other random search engines. I am running Windows XP SP3. Earlier today, wife noticed a strange "Total Security" popup window alerting her of a virus problem. Turns out...that WAS the problem. I was able to kill the rogue processes and downloaded Malwarebytes and ran it successfully. It told me that found and successfully cleaned 21 objects. After rebooting, the next scan came up clean, the Task Manager process list appears fine, and the computer itself does not seem to be running slowly. However, I am experiencing a browser redirect problem when I click on Google (and other search engine) results. A McAfee SecurityCenter full scan didn't detect any problems, nor did a Spybot Search & Destroy scan. I'm not quite sure what to do next and I'm hoping someone could give me some pointers. Will gladly run any utility and post any logs that I am requested to. Look forward to your responses.

Thanks,
lazatx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lazatx

lazatx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:33 PM

To follow up on this...I downloaded Hitman Pro 3.5 and it picked up a problem with my Windows\system32\drivers\atapi.sys file. It seems to have cleaned it and I (so far) am getting no more Google link redirections. However, I have blue screened twice since. I'm waiting on the next one to write down all the info.

lazatx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users