Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pulling out my hair

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 imallchalkedup

imallchalkedup

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:37 PM

Ok, Hi my name is Ron and guess you could say I'm pretty new to computer building, I havnt built one for some time now.

But now i got up the nerve to build myself a powerful system and bought all my items new from newegg, so everything is brand spankin new. Well first go around I bought a gigabyte motherboard wich had very good reviews and had everything up and running with windows7 64 bit had it running about 6 hours and installed my first game, went to change video graphics in the game when poof everything went dead, i mean everything, so I wasnt getting nothing at all anywhere, so i decided to unplug the video card and see if there was a short or something there, still nothing at all, so i moved the ddr2 memory around, nothing. Tried pulling out the battery to motherboard and reinstall, still nothing. So I thought maybe it was the psu, I sent it back to Antec, recieved a new one and plugged it in an Walla, nothing. Alright, i'm going to try best buy's geek squad and see what they think, so i took the computer to them and they gave it search over and it looked like i had everything plugged up ok, so they said they would run test on everything and let me know whats up, so later i get the call that my motherboard is out.

Ok, round two, I decide to go with a different motherboard, and asus motherboard with surge protection on it, good thing i did. So anyway, i put the thing in the computer, bootup, get to bios and change the time and really do nothing else but check all the setting on the computer, i went to the bios setup and just looked around and didnt change anything, so i decided all is well, i will hit f10 save and exit and boot to my hard drive which already has windows installed from last go around. Well, soon as I hit f10 the computer went down, completly and would not restart as before with the other board, so i going about nuts by now after trying to reset computer, pulling memory in and out, and pulling the battery once again, nothing. So i decide to give a rest for awhile and come back, well this was about 15 minutes and i decide to pull out video card and see if i get any power, Wala, computer start right up. So now i feel i found the problem, so turn off computer, put in old video card and nothing, computer will not turn on. So again, i take out video card and try to start and it won't come on, what the Hell, pardon my french. So obviously this motherboards surge protector is working, cause 15 minutes later i can turn it back on, now no video card is in it now and i leave it running about 40 minutes, and decide to shut it off and turn back on, zip zero, not a thing. So my question is does anyone have any idea what might be going on, whatever it is must of fried the first motherboard because it didnt have the surge protection this one has. Please help me

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:14 PM

Sounds like somethings shorting out-are you using all the proper standoffs, and proper screws? and is there any bits of metal contacting the back of the motherboard? what kind of case is it?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 imallchalkedup

imallchalkedup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:14 PM

its an antec case, im using the brass standoffs that came with it, nothing behind the board, well im using different kinds of computer screws not really sure wich one is the right kind, but i am using the little red insulating washers on top of the motherboard to insulate the motherboard from the head of each screw.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:23 AM

Is there anything at all on the motherboard tray that may be contacting the back of the board by any chance? Also, is the surge protector and wall socket your plugging the system into properly grounded? also, on the motherboard, on the old gigabyte board, did you notice any burn marks anywhere on the board itself? Also, check the video card for burn marks.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:26 PM

First its "voilą", not "walla" or "wala".

This is a good candidate to take everything out of the case. Lay your motherboard on a book or insulated surface, high enough to give your videocard backplate tabs clearance. Try to boot it up with only CPU, Memory, and videocard installed, nothing else. Short your "PWR" prongs, or hit the PWR switch on the board if it has one. (I like that feature)

If it will get to a BIOS screen reliably, plug in hard drive and disk drives and verify everything works as it should. (This is SOP on my builds. I put everything together outside the case to make sure everything works before I install in case.) Lot easier swapping stuff outside the case.

When you have your board out, ck case/motherboard tray to verify standoffs are in correct positions. Extra standoffs under a motherboard are a "bad thing" <Martha Stewart says so. See if any metal from the motherboard tray is contacting the rear of the motherboard. I had a cheapie case one time that had a round plug punchout hanging on by an edge that might have caused havok if I had not broken it off. As the_patriot09 posted, ck for any scorch/burn marks.

If you have a DVOM, ck your outlet. You can also get outlet testers, or some multiplug adapters now have a couple of LEDs present to indicate presence of ground and location of hot/neutral in outlet.

I have had shorted hard drives, motherboard edges touching rear metal in case etc cause similar problems.

You don't really need those insulated washers on the motherboard screws.

Edited by dpunisher, 26 February 2010 - 05:27 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:25 PM

Not to be silly...but you don't have any standoffs which are not being used...but which contact the board? I find that standoff locations vary from board to board and you indicated that you have switched boards.

Something I've done before :thumbsup:,

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users