Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Online accounts being hijacked, all of them

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CrazyAce

CrazyAce

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:27 PM

Hello. Recently, my girlfriend and I, on separate computers have been facing the same problem. Here's how it started out:

My girlfriend lost her account at facebook and gmail, by means of someone changing all her passwords. Along with this, she lost her hotmail accounts too. Any account that was, or is, tied to her gmail account has been compromised. She has lost her free credit report account, and the account on a website that deals with her dog's registration information. Any time she makes an account, or is able to log in to an account, as soon as she logs out, that account is immediately compromised and the passwords are changed. She has emailed gmail and facebook, but they have basically put the "deal with it, tough luck," approach to it.

This had been going on for a couple weeks, and then it started happening to me. First I lost my facebook and gmail, then my hotmail. I then tried to log in to random accounts I had set up such as allthelyrics.com, and a few others, to no avail. All my passwords had been changed over, and my secret questions had also been changed. I even lost my password to this website, and had to make a new one to post this topic. Any time I close, or log out of an account, I lose my password. I can't keep up with whatever is running rampant on my, and our, online accounts. Luckily, my bank account has not been hit yet, although I am going to notifiy the bank about what is going on. I made a new gmail account, so that I could at least have somewhere to receive emails for this matter, and did not put an alternate email. Instead I put my mobile phone for password resetting, which has proven to work. The password gets changed, but I am able to get it back, and keep the account. It is rather annoying! :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove:

I have run spybot, mal-ware bytes, a-squared, and gone in through auto-runs to see if there is anything running that I do not recognize, or any services that are not recognized. In each case, other than the random tracking cookies here and there, nothing has come up. I am literally stumped as to how this is happening, I do not claim to be computer literate in any case, but I do know a little. This is way beyond my means. :thumbsup:

What can I do to stop this from happening? I am not so much worried about getting my old accounts back, in fact I was going to remove my facebook account anyway (although somehow it did change my relationship status which caused social problems), I am more worried about preventing this in the future. Any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CrazyAce

CrazyAce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:25 PM

UPDATE:

I got my gmail account back, which in turn helped me get my facebook back. Facebook is deleted now. What I have from gmail, is a message that was in my trash folder, which I didn't send, personally, but was sent from my account. Showing in original format, I believe I found the IP address of the person, because they recieved messages, too. When I try to look it up, I can't seem to get an answer. The IP address always comes up as Unkown Location, etc. etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users