Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IP Address AutoConfig

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 nvrgetit

nvrgetit

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:59 PM

I was getting some help, but not sure how I lost their attention.
D-Link wireless router DI-742U wouldn't reset
I've had this router for 5 years and little trouble. I have Dell dimension 4700 XP SP3 or latest. I use SAS, MSE and problems occured before zonalarm installed. started getting limited connectivity. dsl works fine, but not with router. I tried to reset , but cannot access web utility admin page, with all antivirus and firewalls off. the IP is listed as 169.254.149.128, but I don't think I did that and it won't reset. please advise. No changes to system, there was a storm that evening. A few weeks ago it was brought in for hardware installation, hard drive and memory but worked fine when returned. someone suggested to reset the IP address but those c prompt fixes make me nervous
Joanna

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:25 PM

One of the people that was helping you asked a couple questions that you never answered.

When you say it won't reset, you mean the little button on the back next to power plug doesn't work? You'll need a pen or a paper clip to push it.

And I'm sorry if those C prompt fixes make you nervous but there is tons of info that we get and need to get from those commands.

So try pushing in the little button for a 10 count and then rebooting your PC. See if you get another IP address beside the 169 address.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 nvrgetit

nvrgetit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:15 AM

ty so much, I realize I hadn't responded quickly, when I decided to get a new router I thought that would cure it.. it didn't... and when I returned I wasn't sure I replied properly.
anyway. have tried to reset the older router 10+ times and same no connectivity with new router D-Link Dir -615.
All I meant by the C prompt comment was, I didn't want to take action out of context.
ty
Joanna

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:51 AM

What happens if at a command prompt you type ipconfig /release and hit Enter then type ipconfig /renew and hit Enter? Does it give you an error?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 nvrgetit

nvrgetit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:29 PM

ip address 192.168.1.64
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
default gateway 192.168.1.254

going to shutdown and connect the router

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:04 PM

What was the PC connected to when you got that IP address? Do you have DSL?

#7 nvrgetit

nvrgetit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:12 PM

still limited or no connectivity, but really no connectivity, dsl lights on and normal, router lights on, internet icon blinks, cannot access router admin page.....not that long ago I cleaned some viscious spyware/virus, and think I could not reset the router then, but seem to clear up when I cleaned my system .
ty again
jp

#8 nvrgetit

nvrgetit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:19 PM

sorry missed your reply, yes the dsl works fine when connected directly to the computer, the router is not being recongnized or someothing

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:28 PM

Your DSL is a modem/router. You'll need to set the DSL modem/router to bridged mode ( turning DHCP off ) then set the router up to make the connection for you and handle the DHCP. What is the make and model of the DSL modem/router?

#10 nvrgetit

nvrgetit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:37 PM

DSL
Motorola style: MSTATEA

there are a lot more identifiers need another, but nothing with model associated with it
S/N 41225140
modem access code? 7161735057

#11 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:50 PM

Is this your modem?

#12 nvrgetit

nvrgetit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:57 PM

Yes

#13 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:43 PM

WOOT!

You have to do 2 things: 1) Set the Motorola to bridged mode 2) Set the D-Link to make the connection for you. It doesn't matter which you do first. Don't have the modem plugged into the router's WAN port yet. Read through these both or print them. If you still have the 1.64 address then you are set to make the changes to the Motorola. And you can skip the command prompt stuff for the Motorola.

Change the Motorola - Make sure your PC is plugged into the Motorola - Open a command prompt and type ipconfig /release and the ipconfig /renew hitting Enter after each command. Open a browser, type 192.168.1.254 and hit Enter, what happens here I am not sure about it should ask you for the modem access code 7161735057, then take you in where you have to create a password, then take you out where you'll log in with admin as the user name and the password you just created. This should take you in where you'll see this screen. If you do click the Broadband DSL Line icon, on the right side click Configure Connection, There will be a drop down box that has PPPoE in it, that is what you want to change. But make sure you know the info below that, the user name and password this should have been given to you by your ISP. Click the arrow and select Bridged mode. Click Save and Restart connection, on what I am finding there will be a red button to restart the device click that. When you do this, you will not have internet access till you setup the router.

Change the router - Make sure your PC is plugged into the router - Open a command prompt and type ipconfig /release and the ipconfig /renew hitting Enter after each command. Open a new browser or window and type 192.168.0.1, should be a drop down select admin as the user name and leave the password blank, click the Wizard (normally I wouldn't but it'll walk you through doing good things ), click Next, make a new password - Next, select a time zone - Next, select User name and password PPPoE - Next, don't worry about the drop down at the top of the new page, select Dynamic, you won't be able to enter an IP address so enter the user name and password from your ISP, don't worry about the service name - Next. Wait to click Connect.

Ok plug the modem into the router's WAN port and then click the Connect button. It should connect. If it doesn't All you have to do is reset the Motorola, plug the PC back into it and do the release/renew thing, go in and set the UN and PW and that should get ya back on line.

#14 nvrgetit

nvrgetit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:00 PM

excellent, will try that in a bit and get back to you.

ty
J

#15 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:05 PM

I know it looks like alot but when you get to it, its a few clicks and some typing and its done. lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users