Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

autoplay not working

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AhrenFox

AhrenFox

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:53 PM

I have a work computer that the autoplay is not working. when I plug a usb device in it doesnt give all the options one would normally see. It doesnt give the option to open folder but asks about adobe photos and a couple of other things im drawing a blank on at the moment. when I put in a cd it doesnt read the autoplay but opens the cd to explore it. I downloaded autofix and it said there are problems but cant repair, it showed registry but only a part of them

(HK..... and HK....) and that was all i got it was a text report. I ran Malwarebytes and it came up with 3 infected files. 2 trojans and a malware all in the registry. I dont have the computer with me as im at home. Its a Dell with windows XP oh and its from France if that makes a differance, the keyboard is differant and you have use the shift key to type numbers and there are a couple of misplaced keys.

any help would be appreciated but dont loose sleep over it.

Thank you in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:31 PM

Well i dont know if this will work for you but try it...
1. Open My computer
2. Right click on the disk drive of your computer and select properties
3. In the tabs at the top of that window that opened go to "AutoPlay"
4. then look through till you see "Prompt me each time to chose an action"
If this works for the CD drive then it should work for all the USB devices you have you will just have to repeat the process
-Matt

#3 AhrenFox

AhrenFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:14 PM

Thanks Matt, but I have tried this as well as going into the gredit and making sure autoplay was turned on. Thanks again tho.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:01 AM

Download Autorun fix
Double click on fix.bat
When done, restart computer, and see, if autorun works.
If not, reverse changes, by double clicking on backup.reg created in same location where you ran fix.bat from.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:54 PM

I would do what Broni sugested i will see if i can find another fix in the event that that doesnt help, will report if i do otherwise hope it does best of luck :thumbsup:

#6 AhrenFox

AhrenFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:42 AM

Sorry hadnt been on in a few days, job keeps me busy on everything else.
I did what Broni suggested and still not working properly, I am considering running a repair, do you think that is wise? Thank you for your help.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:23 AM

Give it a shot....

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:40 PM

Has autoplay always worked before, and is this computer part of any work related domain or is it a stand alone workstation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users