Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer shows low resources

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 kimandallan

kimandallan

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 07 September 2005 - 01:16 PM

Hi there, i keep geting the message that i have low resorses and to please close othere applications, but when i close everything i still get the same message, i cant sometimes even open my e-mails. I have right clicked my computer and i have 256 ram but only %12 system resorses, so this must be the problem, i dont know how to fix this as im scared to uninstall some things on my pc as i dont know what they are for. Any ifo on how to fix this would be great.x

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2005 - 01:47 PM

You may find some useful information by reading this recent thread:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/low...lem-t28240.html

And:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/sys...ugh-t29453.html

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 07 September 2005 - 01:50 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 kimandallan

kimandallan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2005 - 09:24 AM

Hi John, i have read the threds that you ased me to view, but i dont have games or anything like that on my pc. Its just the 12% system resorses i have to try and increase, any help would be smashing.x

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2005 - 09:46 AM

My comments in one of the threads applies to general computing as well; the review and killing of applications running at startup (and in the background) can free up system resources.
See this brief article that lists various things you can do to free up resources:

http://www.internet4classrooms.com/sysresource.htm
In addition, you should check to make sure you have a decent portion of your hard drive free (the swap files uses it).
Also check to see how virtual memory is set:
Settings/Control Panel/SystemProperties/Performance. Click on the virtual memory button on the Performance tab. Make sure that the box is checked beside "let Windows manage my virtual memory settings."

Lastly, do some routine maintenance on your hard drive by running your adware applications, cleaning out junk and temporary files, running scandisk, and defragging.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 08 September 2005 - 09:47 AM.

#5 kimandallan

kimandallan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2005 - 02:55 PM

Hi again, many thanks for replying.

I have checked the things out that i can ( if i'm doing it correct, not very good at all this) I have checked the programs that are running when windows open and i don't even know what 3 3/4 are there for, they are as follows:
EXPLORER
MSNMSGR
SWDOCTOR
SOUNDMAN
MCVSRTE
AIM
AOLDIAL
MCVSFTSN
DSLSTAT
WZQKPICK
QUICKDCF
AOLTRAY
AOLSPSCHEDULER
MCVSESCN
REALPLAY
DSLAGENT
MSNAPPAU
MCAGENT
LOADQM
LXSUPMON
QTTASK
ACBTNMGR_X83
STIMON
SYSTRAY
PTSNOOP
RNAAAPP
ACMONITOR_X83
LPCONFIG

I don't know if or all of these should be running, but i have a feeling i have to much.

Also can you please help on running scan disk and defragging. I do run adawere a few times per week if that helps.

Many thanks again John x

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2005 - 04:17 PM

Hi kimandallan

You can check your list against:

Bleeping Computer's - Startup Programs Database

Defrag:

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter

Scan Disk:

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Scan Disk

* A Defrag done for the first time may take awhile. Be prepared. :thumbsup:

* Defrag and Scan Disk are best done in Safe Mode.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

Cleaning out your Cache:

Internet Explorer Toolbar > Tools > Internet Options > Delete Files > Delete History

Edited by Scarlett, 08 September 2005 - 06:26 PM.

Posted Image

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:11 PM

Just looking at your list, here are to IM apps you don't need running all the time:

MSNMSGR
AIM

Realplayer may be a good player, but it carries a lot of baggage with it, including a persistent desire to always be running despite what you do.

REALPLAY

Nor do you need to have Lexmark running, unless you spend a lot of time printing things:

ACBTNMGR_X83
ACMONITOR_X83

I am sure you can find others in your list by reading about them in the BC startup database, but those are ones I recognised. Do you use AOL as yor IP?
Cheers,
John

#8 kimandallan

kimandallan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2005 - 08:40 AM

Thanks John, yes i do use aol, thanks again x

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2005 - 09:16 AM

Beyond what John mentions you don't need:

WZQKPICK - Fires up WinZip at startup - not needed.
QTTASK - Quicktime tray icon, not needed.
RNAAAPP - I usually find and delete this file. Its the real player updater, keeps coming back, and is nothing more than a phone home about your Real player usage. Make sure you uncheck it in msconfig, reboot and delete if you decide to do that.
QUICKDCF
MSNAPPAU
LOADQM
ACBTNMGR_X83 - This program is not strictly necessary for the proper operation of your Lexmark X73/X83 as you can use most of the above features via the printer's control panel. However you need this System Tray program to scan to e-mail, fax, or OCR, and to change the machine's defaults, such as the default scanning resolution, the email address to scan and e-mail to, etc... Should you decide to disable this task with Startup Manager, you can start it at any time via "Start \ Programs \ Lexmark X73/X83 \ Lexmark Scan & Copy Control Program".

LPCONFIG - This may be a trojan. Have you done any virus scans?

Your startups indicate you use AOL Dialup and also DSL and both can't be true. Which is it?

What is your operating system?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#10 kimandallan

kimandallan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2005 - 01:48 PM

Many thanks, i have done what you asked, but when i click on programs that i dont need they keep appearing, i dont know what to do now, my resources went from 12% up to 33% when i defraged, but when i went into add remove programms it went to 44% then i restarted pc, but then jumped back down to 21% i dont know why. Yes im using aol broadband and not dial up so dont know what is wrong there either, i have done a scan with adaware, so now im even more confused, please help again.x

#11 kimandallan

kimandallan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2005 - 02:24 PM

Hi there again, i have been trying to delete programms from add remove programmes, but cant seem to remove the icons from desktop. Now my % rate is going up until i click on any of the two icons on my desktop my performance drops. The addy is:
lexplore.exehttp://www.hotbargames.com?refld=834

the other is:xe"c:\windows\startmenue\programs\eGames"

hope this can help with any other info, thanks again from a very confused girl.x

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2005 - 02:27 PM

You don't mention your operating system.

AOL Dialup may be an add-on for DSL. I know that some ISP's allow a certain amount of dialup access per month with a DSL account.

McAfee is a huge resource hog, especially on an older computer, so I'm sure thats part of the problem.

Your resources shouldn't fluctuate like that, and programs coming back indicate some sort of malware. Just to eliminate that, best to post a HiJack This log for our team to look at. See How to submit a Hijackthis Log. When you have posted a log in the HiJack This Forum post back here and let us know. I'm not a member of the HiJack Team so I won't advise on fixes as per board policy but I can quickly determine if you have any malware and I'll let you know. At this point its best to rule that in or out or we are just spinning our wheels.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#13 kimandallan

kimandallan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2005 - 05:45 AM

Hiy there, my opperating system is windows 98.

I have sent a hijackthis log, so hopefully someone can have a look and get my pc running properly again, many thanks for your help.

Kim x

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2005 - 02:12 PM

Having looked at your log I see you still have a lot of unnecessary programs running at startup. You can free up a lot of resources simply by disabling RealPlayer and QuickTime from running in the background. You can do this by going to Start>Run and typing in msconfig. Under the Startup tab look for those programs and remove the checkmark. Click Apply and Ok.

#15 kimandallan

kimandallan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2005 - 02:49 PM

Thanks again for youre help, i have removed realplayer and quicktime. I checked my resorses, when windows load my roesorses is 64% then when i load aol my resorses drop back down to 37%.

Is there any more programs that i could stop running and this would bring my resorses up.

Thanks again Kim x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users