Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Recovery problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 slivershell

slivershell

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:15 PM

I have a HP Pavilion with Windows Vista. I have been having some problems lately and I ordered the recovery disk. When I put the disk in and turned on the computer, it says "Windows is loading files' or something like that. Once the white bar is across the screen it goes away and then the Microsoft Windows loading bar comes up. Once that screen goes away, nothing else happens. The screen goes blank and nothing happens. I did go to my BIOs setting and put my CD/DVD as the first thing to boot when I turn on my computer, but that didn't work at all.

Is there anyway to get my recovery disc to work so it could fix my computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:11 AM

What were the original problems, which led to reinstall?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 slivershell

slivershell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:02 PM

I had 2 trojans that I removed with superspyware. They were telling me to buy VistaAnti something and wouldn't let me go online, so I got rid of it. When my computer restarted I could open up any programs directly because the 'open with' window kept popping up. I ordered the restore disk that day. Over the week, my computer screen started to randomly go blank, forcing to turn it off and turn it back on. Then it wouldn't even start up. It says something like, windows can't start because of a problem in the hardware. When I tried the fix opition, the 'windows is loading' bar would fill up and the screen would go blank and do nothing for hours. So, my computer can't really start up.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:05 PM

Over the week, my computer screen started to randomly go blank, forcing to turn it off and turn it back on. Then it wouldn't even start up. It says something like, windows can't start because of a problem in the hardware.

Is this happening now, or before you tried recovery disk?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 slivershell

slivershell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:09 PM

Before I tried the disk since I didn't have it then.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:11 PM

*** Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

*** A. If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-....iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-....iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-....iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 slivershell

slivershell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:15 PM

Thanks, I'll try this out any see how it works.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:20 PM

OK :huh:

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users