Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Conflicting IPs

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 tjboo

tjboo

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:05 PM

Hi all. I just got a new laptop with Windows 7. Worked fine. My dad comes home from work powers up his laptop and the internet goes down. I think my router is often giving us the same IP.

It may be giving us the same IP with our laptops and my PS3. Often ending at .2. I check the IP Pool range on my router and its .1 - 100. So it has a choice of 99 yet it often goes for the same IP. Is this is whats crashing my network everytime I turn on my laptop? & is there a way to manually set devices the same IP each time? and what are the disadvantages of that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tjboo

tjboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:33 PM

Also whenever I turn on the laptop it knocks out the wireless for everyone else on everything and completely disconnects the access point..

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:07 PM

Yes you can set them to a static IP.

What version of windows is your dad's laptop?

What IPs are on each PC? Open a command prompt and type ipconfig/ all and hit enter. You'll want to look for your wireless adapter.

What is the make, model and revision of the router?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 tjboo

tjboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:17 PM

Mine = Windows 7
His = Vista
I can't even check the ipconfig of mine because as soon as I get on the OS the wireless goes down because the laptop knocks it off.
It worked before he turned his laptop on (earlier & yesterday)
I'm not sure whether my PS3 is involved in this either. I assume it possibly could be. The PS3 I know for sure ends in .3

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:27 PM

The address will still be listed. Connected or not.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 tjboo

tjboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:31 PM

do all the devices have to be on?
EDIT: - Just gone onto my default gateway onto the router settings and my Dad's laptop IP is .4
When I did command prompt ipconfig/all on my desktop IPv4 ending in .2 <Preferred>
My PS3 is .3 atm

Edited by tjboo, 25 February 2010 - 05:42 PM.

#7 tjboo

tjboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:03 PM

K I did it for my laptop and its preferred was .4
When my Dad is on his , his is .4
However when my Dad's laptop is off and mine is on, why would this knock out the whole wireless connection for everything including my PS3?
I've tried restoring to factory default to no avail...

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:11 PM

On both your dad's and your PC - Open Network Connections, on the connection in question right click it and click Properties, in the list click IPv4 then click the Properties button. Are both set to Obtain? Should be a dot beside the word. If they aren't, set them to it and click OK x 2. Then reboot. If they are set to Obtain then just click OK x 2 without rebooting.

Let us know if either were set to something other than Obtain.

#9 tjboo

tjboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:28 PM

K i couldnt find that :/
But this is today's story. My laptop's internet worked fine. I checked it's IP was .5 rather than .4
My dad comes home from work-I boot up my laptop again and BOOM the net goes down. His wasn't even on!

#10 tjboo

tjboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:36 PM

shall I just create a static IP for my laptop?

#11 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:14 PM

You couldn't find what? Network connections - Click the start button or whatever it is in Vista and Win 7, click on Control Panel, click Network and Internet, click Network and Sharing Center, and then click Manage network connections.

What is the make and model of your router?

The net goes down for everyone? or just your laptop?

When they are both on, regardless if you can surf or not, what are their IP addresses? and none of this .2 .4, what is the entire IP address please?

#12 tjboo

tjboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:56 PM

they are both set to obtain. I can't find out my freaking IP now cause i can't even connect to the internet cause of his laptop. he can't connect when I boot my OS. And if his is off and I boot my OS it knocks out the entire wireless. However when hes not home it worked. Also his laptop wasn't even on but it was in the house. As soon as he got home with his laptop it began again tonight...I can't set my own static IP cause I don't know my DNS because I cant access it in command prompt because im not connected to the internet.

The net goes down for everyone once my OS boots.
It didn't go down for anyone nor me earlier when my Dad was not home.
When he got home (didnt even turn laptop on!) when i booted my OS it died for everyone.
When mine is off it works for everyone, only when I boot does it die for everyone.
Belkin Wireless N Router.

Edited by tjboo, 26 February 2010 - 04:58 PM.

#13 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:12 PM

When you enter ipconfig /all at a command prompt you are telling me nothing shows for your wireless connection? Even tho you were on the net when your dad is not home. These addresses do not go away unless you release them and can't connect to the router. So something is going to be listed.

On the back of the router beside the power plug is a small button sorta inside the plastic. You'll need a pen, needle or straightened paper clip to press and hold it for a 5 count. This will reset the router. Yes you will need to go back in and set up any security or port forwarding you had but the router will be set back to defaults.

Then reboot both PCs.

Is his laptop a work laptop?

Edited by CaveDweller2, 26 February 2010 - 05:19 PM.

#14 tjboo

tjboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:02 PM

Sutff does show up. However most of it is listed as 'disconnected' and stuff. I've already restored the router to factory defaults to no avail. And yea his laptop is a work one. My old XP laptop never had any conflict with his laptop.
Do you think the reason for disconnecting the entire wireless network when I boot my laptop is cause of a IP conflict perhaps or are there any other reasons?

#15 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:10 PM

I have no idea. Because I have no idea what the IP addresses are. I have asked for them a number of times and you have yet to post them. At this point I am inclined to stop answering your posts. =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users