Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build Part 2: PC Randomly Locks Up (freezes)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 idorace

idorace

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:58 PM

I put together a brand new PC. Turned out pretty good except the PC randomly locks up and freezes. I can make this happen by scanning the HD with MS Security Essentials, but it also happens at other times. I have to do a hard boot to get running again. You may have seen my other recent thread that stated the monitor was randomly going blank. That was not true, the power setting was set to turn the monitor off at 30 minutes. What was happening was the PC was locking up just like now except the monitor was already off (power setting). The power setting is now set to never turn the monitor off and the PC still locks up.

The build goes as follows:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 processor, Gigabyte GA-MA895GMT-UD2H MOB, 2 4 Gig Mushkin 1333 MHz DDR3 memory, Window 7 Ultimate, 500 watt PS, Nvidia GeForce 7300 video card, (I need to upgrade), and a WD 1TB Caviar Black HD.

All of the drivers are up to date, cpu never gets above 54C, normally around 48C. The BIOS is set to load fail safe defaults.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 idorace

idorace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:19 PM

Some more info:

When I run a stress test with Everest, the screen immediatly goes blank and the PC freezes.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:11 AM

Have you ran Memtest to check for memory issues? Can you verify that your hard drives are not damaged? Is your PC overclocked or did anything unusual happen while setting it up or during the Windows installation? I had a similar issue with an older PC a while back. The motherboard was bad but there aren't any ways to directly test the motherboard so it was a case of eliminating everything but the board.

3939.png

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:18 PM

You sure you have that board model correct?

I don't get any hits of consequence for that.

Louis

#5 idorace

idorace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:13 PM

You sure you have that board model correct?

I don't get any hits of consequence for that.

Louis

I am a retard, it is 785, not 895, here is the page:

Gigabyte

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:39 AM

IMO, could be the RAM.

I don't necessarily believe in buying RAM from the suggested vendors lists that are reflected...but we all know that some boards are picky about the RAM which they desire.

Louis

#7 idorace

idorace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:20 PM

IMO, could be the RAM.

I don't necessarily believe in buying RAM from the suggested vendors lists that are reflected...but we all know that some boards are picky about the RAM which they desire.

Louis

Just ran Memtestx86+ with no errors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users