Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot uninstall IE8

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:53 PM

My OS is Win XP Home SP3 and completely up to date. I had been having a problem with a pop up every time I started IE8 which told me a program had hijacked another program bla bla bla with the result that MY stated search provider Google was continuously being changed to Bing. It is a well documented problem but none of the solutions I had found on Google would work, so I decided to uninstall and reinstall IE8 thinking that may cure it.

I used Revo uninstaller at the Safe setting as with IE8 being a Microsoft program I didn't wan't to use the advanced setting in Revo in case it maybe deleted any necessary registry files. The uninstall appeared to go well and the IE8 entry was now gone from my ARP list as well as from the Revo list. After rebooting and before I reinstalled IE8 I decided to check if I had IE6 or 7 but surprise surprise I still have IE8 and I still have the annoying pop up. I did a search including hidden files / folders for Internet Explorer 8 which found nothing, however when I searched for IE8 I found tens of KB number entries as well as an entry for IE8 and IE8updates in the "Windows" folder. When I open the Internet Explorer folder in Program files there are a host of IE8 entries but was told when I tried to delete them I couldn't.

It is not to do with SP3 as I added IE8 after I updated to SP3. I could of course just reinstall IE8 over the top of it but feel sure I will then still have the pop up regarding default search engine to contend with. Does anyone know what has happened here and how to get my PC clear for a clean install of IE8?.

Edited by bluesjunior, 25 February 2010 - 02:54 PM.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:14 PM

Can you describe in more detail what the error message said?

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:41 PM

Problem solved, thanks anyway.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:48 PM

Problem solved, thanks anyway.

What was the resolution?

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:13 AM

I came across the instructions below on Google so decided to reinstall IE8 on top of the existing one, found I still had the irritating pop up so applied the following registry fix and hey presto it worked.

PROBLEM #5
An error after opening internet explorer 8: “A program on your computer has corrupted IE8 default search provider settings. IE8 will reset the search provider setting to default setting of xxx search. IE8 will open the search provider dialog where you can change your search provider”.
For the above error follow the below steps:
1. Click Start. 2. Click Run. 3. Type in regedit and press enter. 4. In the registry editor, expand and navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders. 5. Right click User Shell Folders. 6. Select New and then Expandable String value. 7. A new value is added in right pane. 8. Type in AppData and press enter. 9. Double click AppData. 10. Under value data type in:
%USERPROFILE%\Application Data
11.Note: If there is already AppData in the right pane, double click and correct it to %USERPROFILE%\Application Data

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users