Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installation after downloading

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 eliz6beth

eliz6beth

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 07 September 2005 - 12:43 PM

I am using XP home and not sure what to do when I have installed something. It tells you to exit all open windows - what does that cover.

I have Avast antivirus, Zonealarm, microsft antispyware, spybot S&D, Spyware blaster and Kodak running - do I have to exit all of these (surely I will leave myself unprotected). I have just been closing a few of them down but would really like to know the correct thing to do = do I also have to come off the internet?

Grateful

Liz :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 07 September 2005 - 12:50 PM

In general, "Close all open windows' refers to items that are actually open on the screen or things running in the menu bar. It does NOT refer to things you see in the systray (system notification area - generally lower right).

You should NEVER have to disable your antivirus or firewall to download or install an application. You *may* have to tell your AV and/or anti-malware apps to allow the installation, as they may be watching for and notifying you of this type of activity.
Derfram
~~~~~~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users