Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade Win2000 to Win7 on a pirated version of 2000

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 techedumbdumb

techedumbdumb

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:41 PM

I read the rules. I looked up forum topics to see if the answers were already there. Hell, I've googled and bing'd this question for a few days and all I get are more questions to answers I didn't even know to ask.

I bought a laptop from my bro-in-law who bought it from ebay and tweaked it for my personal use at home, emailing and web browsing. Never had a problem with it and I update it all the time at Microsoft.com. Last weekend I noticed that Win2000 will not be supported anymore and I should go ahead and bite the bullet and buy a copy of XP Pro like I've always wanted to do (four children keep me from spending a dime on my own needs/wants). I went to microsofts upgrade site to see what the requirements are to do this and after much ado... I found I have a bad version or illegal version or a wrong sticker on the bottom that doesn't match my OS or something... yuk!! I have done much research on what all this means and have gained new insight into computing but I'm still not quite savvy enough to find all the answers I need to get what I want. A simple answer would make my day :thumbsup:
I am willing to purchase some software to have XP Pro but have found that it's not for sale anymore and then to find that I can't upgrade to this Windows 7 because my OS is faulty or pirated or something I dont' quite know how to fix. Please tell me where to begin so I can get legit and not have to purchase a new computer my family can't afford. I have two other home computers with these same topics, kinda. I will take one at a time since this laptop sits on my kitchen table and that's where i operate most efficiently as a Momma and still get my emails checked daily. Where do I even begin to ask for help?
Thanks for your time folks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:19 PM

Here is XP Pro SP3 - http://www.royaldiscount.com/item/Microsof...cludes_SP3/1458

#3 techedumbdumb

techedumbdumb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:05 PM

Thanks for the thread to the cheapest version I have seen yet! I thought OEM meant that I needed the Win 2000 key in order to upgrade though? Am I confusing information form reading about too muc computer talk in the last few days or what? I thought I was supposed to stay away from OEM software. There is a big warning going off inside my pea brain.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:15 PM

Thanks for the thread to the cheapest version I have seen yet! I thought OEM meant that I needed the Win 2000 key in order to upgrade though? Am I confusing information form reading about too muc computer talk in the last few days or what? I thought I was supposed to stay away from OEM software. There is a big warning going off inside my pea brain.

Ive bought windows and office from that site before, so I trust them.

#5 techedumbdumb

techedumbdumb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:57 PM

OK- I see what OEM means and why I thought it was bad to buy. OEM ususally is already installed on new computers and the software is not fully supported by microsoft. Since I am so NOT computer savvy, shouldn't I get the full "retail" version not an OEM? Also, since my Win2000 software is a "pirate version" will I run into problems installing a full version? I tried finding my own answers on microsofts website and there is nothing that discusses this topic.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:22 PM

Naw just reformat it, and start all over again. It is refreshing to see someone of your honesty doing this.

#7 techedumbdumb

techedumbdumb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:06 PM

Cryptodan,
Thanks again for all this help. Glad you think this is "refreshing" cuz now I have to ask what do you mean "just reformat it"? Ha! Thought you could have figured I wouldn't know how to do such a thing but I am sure you have a fancy link to some site that will walk me through the process and I sooooo look forward to doing something that will make me feel computer smart. How fun :huh:

So I am going to buy this version from your link and look you up the weekend I do this install and tell you how it goes. If you're really excited about helping me with the "cleaning up" I'm about to start in my house then keep your eyes peeled for all my future posts/questions. I have to do some of the same stuff to a very arcaic Sony Viao and will need lots of help with that one.I hoooked that up to my flat screen in my bedroom so I can wrangle small children to sleep in my bed and check emails when those buggers go to sleep but that OS won't accept the wireless adapter AT&T told me I need. Aarrggg.... I sure do love having you guys at this site. I feel like I've hit a land mine of luck :thumbsup:

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:22 PM

When you get the install CD just pop it in and install it and follow the onscreen instructions.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:56 AM

Use the Belarc Advisor-free version
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
or Magicaljellybean Keyfinder
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/
To find the installed key on the computer
You will see it is different than the sticker on the bottom

There is the possibility that you might have to flash your BIOS for XP
I had to do that with my old Thinkpad

Edited by garmanma, 26 February 2010 - 10:57 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,569 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:00 AM

Is there an issue with those OEM versions that
1. Microsoft doesn't fully support it - does it mean you can't get their updates?
2. Drivers - I suspect one has to collect all the drivers for the computer that are up to date for XP-pro and put all? some? in after Windows gets installed, correct?

Edited by tos226, 27 February 2010 - 12:01 AM.

#11 techedumbdumb

techedumbdumb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:13 AM

HI guys! So i have found more info before buying the XP pro version. My processor might not be compatible with the "bit version of this offer on Roayldiscounts site. That put me on a search to find out what kind of processor this computer has. From your resourseful site I downloaded the CPU-Z wizard and it gives all kinds of info that is great but I still didn't get my "bit answer. How can I tell if my processor handles this 64bit version of XP Pro? The CPU (yes, I've learned that's how you refer to it :huh: is a x86 family 6 model 8 stepping 10 genuineintel~851 at 600MhZ- believe me, this info seems like alien code for "your an idiot Techedumbdumb.....
so, with this type of processor info and the cool CPU-Z I downloaded and ran, I still don't know if I can move forward with buying the software and making sure it will work with my computers guts. Know what I mean? Obviously I can't return the item so I need to be sure that it will work. Any help from you boys is always appreciated. Believe me, I try to get my own answers before posting because I'm learning so much computer knowledge I'm going to be able to fix our computers :(

Also, thanks to Garmanma for the threads to getting my computers "installed" key. I will give that a shot next, today. I'll get back to you with those results, if I get any. Much appreciated.
I hope you all get a copy of this post... maybe I should have started a new one since I am no longer looking to upgrade to Win7?... bleep, i don't know how to use forums yet either :thumbsup:

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:44 PM

Your CPU is fine for Windows XP.

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:45 PM

My processor might not be compatible with the "bit version of this offer on Roayldiscounts site

You will want the 32 bit version

Consider XP Home instead of Pro
http://www.viosoftware.com/Windows+XP+Home...P3+OEM+DSP.html
I've bought from them a few times
Since it is a new OS and not an upgrade you wouldn't need to be concerned abut your present CD key

Edited by garmanma, 27 February 2010 - 01:53 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#14 techedumbdumb

techedumbdumb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:17 PM

Wow! Five hours after beginning my search for alien life form I have my answers. Cryptodan, thanks for getting the info on my processor and giving me the answer to Home version not Pro. That helps a ton! Garmanma, I found the key after all your helpful directions through a compressor and walking me through and then logged in to thank you and realised you posted I won't even need the key anyway. Ha! Oh what I have learned so far from you boys. I am renewed with faith that I will begin to understand foreign being language and get through all my computer problems with this websites help. Much appreciated for the two of you :thumbsup: Garmanma, do the grandkids watch Dora the Explorer? She sings a song "we did it" after every accomplishment and I'm singing that tune now and the husband is looking at me real funny. He has no idea the quest I am on and could care less as long as he can check his email. You boys have a fabulous day and be sure to check on me often cuz I have lots of computer problems.

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:29 PM

Pro is also great for your computer. I recommend it over home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users