Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot update anti-virus software or access antivirus websites

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 TonyTaggart

TonyTaggart

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:41 PM

Hello thumbup2.gif

My mother in-law recently asked me to look at her computer as she had tried to move a file from home to work when she was prompted with a virus pop-up window. The IT department stated that her memory key had been infected which could only have come from her home PC.

After trying to update her antivirus software it became clear that something was restricting certain sites and updates. A usual GOOGLE search popped up with a string from Feb 09 on this website with exactly the same problem explaining very clearly what to do.

First was to install Malwarebytes - done via another PC onto CD as the PC would not allow access to the website
This was complete and a log created stating 5 threats which have been quarantined and deleted successfully. Log retained
Next I downloaded ComboFix and ran creating another log. Again log retained.

My question is simple, there is still a problem however I cannot seem to remedy and assume the detail is in the combofix log????

Can anyone help?

Tony wacko.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Noviciate

Noviciate

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:36 PM

Good evening. smile.gif

Follow the instructions on this page and then start a new thread and post accordingly. As Helpers look for threads with zero replies i'll close this one.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users