Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant open IE or IE properties

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 wuntunearlybko

wuntunearlybko

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:51 PM

platform: WinXP Pro 32bit, build 2600 SP3, Dell Latitude D610

I recently removed some malware from the machine with a Kaspersky bootable CD mulitple times then booting into Windows SafeMode and ran the latest version of Malware Bytes. I did this until it found no more infections (4 times i believe). I then was able to login to the machine normally and everything seems to be working fine except for IE. I thought maybe upgrading to IE7 would refresh the program but the issue persists. I then discovered that the Internet Properties is not present in the Control Panel. If i try to run the actual Internet Propeties .cpl command (inetcpl.cpl) the mouse pointer seems to flicker for a millisecond and then nothing. I cant get anything to respond. On another note, Safari is loaded on this machine and i can get to the internet just fine! i want to check for Windows updates to help prevent this issue in the future.

I am sorry if this is not in the correct sub-forum, i am still learning my way around here. I am not currently on the machine now, I am on my work machine with it sitting directly next to me. I will get on that machine, run the DDS, and then post the findings in a new post so as not to confuse anyone.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Jason

Edited by Pandy, 25 February 2010 - 02:45 PM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs as no logs are posted ~Pandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shrdt

shrdt

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:26 PM

ok, so safari loads up to the internet with no issue, and all scans show no baddies...

have you totally and completely uninstalled IE from that PC?

I had an issue like this on a PC, where as you double clicked on IE, IE props in Control Panel, or as you have done as well, ran from the command, it only blinked flashed or blipped.

Only way that I could get it to function period was to totally uninstall IE from the PC, search the registry for any track, delete it, restart the PC, and reinstall IE.

side note: why use IE? aside from getting microsoft updates, why not stick with Safari, Chrome, FireFox?

back to the issue, if you want to remove EVERYTHING when you uninstall use Revo http://www.revouninstaller.com/

super duper install remover. Of course you need to read everything about the program and understand what it can and cannot do
also what it will and will not remove apon uninstalling - so if you install and run that program and it bricks the PC, not my fault :thumbsup:

#3 wuntunearlybko

wuntunearlybko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:55 PM

ok, so safari loads up to the internet with no issue, and all scans show no baddies...

have you totally and completely uninstalled IE from that PC?

I had an issue like this on a PC, where as you double clicked on IE, IE props in Control Panel, or as you have done as well, ran from the command, it only blinked flashed or blipped.

Only way that I could get it to function period was to totally uninstall IE from the PC, search the registry for any track, delete it, restart the PC, and reinstall IE.

side note: why use IE? aside from getting microsoft updates, why not stick with Safari, Chrome, FireFox?

back to the issue, if you want to remove EVERYTHING when you uninstall use Revo http://www.revouninstaller.com/

super duper install remover. Of course you need to read everything about the program and understand what it can and cannot do
also what it will and will not remove apon uninstalling - so if you install and run that program and it bricks the PC, not my fault :flowers:

no i have not tried completely uninstalling IE, embarrassingly enough i wasnt aware IE could be completely removed. I thought it was just part of the OS. I might have to try that.

Honestly, if it were my machine i would leave it be but i am working on this for work and some of our apps require IE. that and i am stubborn, i wanna know how to fix it for future issues i may have so maybe i dont have to bug you guys :thumbsup:

i have never used revo, will have to check it out. thank you for the advice

Jason

#4 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:05 PM

This topic is now closed as a log has been posted here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/299392/cant-open-ie-or-ie-properties/. Please do not make any more changes to your system unless directed to do so by a Malware Response Team Member.

Edited by Pandy, 01 March 2010 - 03:05 PM.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users