Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus Soft and removing it

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ChausettesVert

ChausettesVert

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:39 PM

So, my roommate's computer has picked up this Antivirus Soft malware. I'm really only this kind of computer expert, so I've read some info on it and I'm trying to follow the BleepingComputer tutorial to clean the computer. It's enlightening, but I can't get it to work. None of the other posters in this forum seem to be having this problem.

The computer is using Windows XP Professional.

My problems:

-I can't boot in Safe Mode, using the F8 method or the msconfig approach. Using the F8 method, the computer BSODs and returns me to a prompt screen where I can select safe mode, normal mode, or last saved settings. The malware is blocking me from running msconfig.
-I can download rkill, but I can't open it. The malware prompts that the file is infected.
-I have downloaded and installed Malwarebytes, but I can't run it. Same as above.
-I can't install any other of the antivirus software I've tried: AVG, VIPRE, etc. Same as above.

Any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shrdt

shrdt

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:03 PM

How experienced are you with the inside of that computer? ( If I ask you about IDE's and Molex connections do you know what I'm speaking of? )

What kind of PC do you have? describe what you can, anything would be helpful ( DELL - HP that sorta thing )

Is this the only PC you have?

if you have another PC that isn't infected, do you have a digital camera that you can hook up to it?

I'll try to wait for your response, if I do not get back to you today, I will be on here tomorrow morning :thumbsup:

#3 ChausettesVert

ChausettesVert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:50 PM

How experienced are you with the inside of that computer? ( If I ask you about IDE's and Molex connections do you know what I'm speaking of? )

What kind of PC do you have? describe what you can, anything would be helpful ( DELL - HP that sorta thing )

Is this the only PC you have?

if you have another PC that isn't infected, do you have a digital camera that you can hook up to it?

I'll try to wait for your response, if I do not get back to you today, I will be on here tomorrow morning :thumbsup:

I know what an IDE is, but I doubt I would be able to use one.

It's an HP notebook, but I'm not sure what vintage. The OS is the 2002 version of XP Pro. It has a 1.86 GHz processor and 520 MB of RAM. It has a wireless card, but the card doesn't work well with our wireless network, so it's connected to the router by ethernet. I'm actually pretty impressed that it still runs as well as it does.
I'm not worried about voiding the warranty (because it's probably long expired), but I'd rather not risk rendering the computer non-functional.

This is the only PC I have access to right now, but I'm fairly sure I can find another computer to use if I need one. I do have a digital camera.

I managed to get rkill to work when I rebooted a little earlier, and I then got to update and run VIPRE. It found three trojans, one of which I'm pretty sure is the one that is causing the problem. We'll see after I reboot, though.

#4 shrdt

shrdt

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:29 AM

It's an HP notebook, but I'm not sure what vintage. The OS is the 2002 version of XP Pro. It has a 1.86 GHz processor and 520 MB of RAM. It has a wireless card, but the card doesn't work well with our wireless network, so it's connected to the router by ethernet. I'm actually pretty impressed that it still runs as well as it does.
I'm not worried about voiding the warranty (because it's probably long expired), but I'd rather not risk rendering the computer non-functional.

ok, reason I asked is if you are able to take the Hard Drive out of the machine, hook it to another, and scan it from there, it can shorten the fixing time...

but of course taking a Laptop apart is much different that taking a Desktop apart, Hmm...

This is the only PC I have access to right now, but I'm fairly sure I can find another computer to use if I need one. I do have a digital camera.

I managed to get rkill to work when I rebooted a little earlier, and I then got to update and run VIPRE. It found three trojans, one of which I'm pretty sure is the one that is causing the problem. We'll see after I reboot, though.

Great! so if rkill can run and you where able to get VIPRE to update and run, have you tried Malwarebytes?

if possible, Download malwarebytes install, try to update, and see what happens from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users