Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

network connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 swtexas70

swtexas70

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:00 PM

My laptop has always connected to the network without any problem. Now, it identifies the network and asks for a "network key." I enter the correct key, and it immediately goes to repair the connection and then "cannot connect to the network."

The router is working correctly because other laptops connect without any problem.

Vista Home Basic

Router--Linksys

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:34 PM

My laptop has always connected to the network without any problem. Now, it identifies the network and asks for a "network key." I enter the correct key, and it immediately goes to repair the connection and then "cannot connect to the network."

The router is working correctly because other laptops connect without any problem.

Vista Home Basic

Router--Linksys

Thanks in advance

Providing us with more information makes it easier for us to help you.

What service are you using to connect to the router?

Windows embeded networking utility or linksys software?

What Linksys router model number are you using?

What type of wireless adapter are you using? A USB external adapter or the laptop's built in adapter?

Are you clicking apply and save settings once you enter the proper key?

Are you using WEP or WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK?

Can you see a wireless "connect" attempt made by your laptop in the routers "log files"?

Try powering off the router for 1 minute while all computer devices are powered off, repower the router, then restart all computers again and allow reconnection to the router, see if this fixes the problem.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 swtexas70

swtexas70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:06 PM

In regard to your questions:

Service--AT&T DSL

Linksys software

Linksys model--WRK54G

The adapter is built in the machine

There is no apply to click on, only OK

WPA-PSK

Do not know where the log is located

Yes, I did undo the router to reset it while cutting all things off.

The connection obviously is recognizing the network; it even asks for the pass key or security key. When I enter the key, it will do the described actions listed above. Using the computer off-line now results in it prompting me to enter the passkey again even while not attempting to go on-line. Other laptop is working fine.

Hopes these details help, Thanks

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:13 PM

Get the newest driver for the wireless network card, go into Device manager and uninstall it. Then go into Add/Remove programs and remove all programs dealing with your wireless then reboot and install the new driver. Should take like 5 minutes give or take for the reboot.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users